new chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chicky1981, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Chicky1981

Chicky1981 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2011
    Peterborough UK
    I am all new to keeping chickens. I have had 3 chickens for 1 week now and we have not had any eggs. They are the right age as they were laying eggs in their previous home. Is it the time of year? The days are getting shorter snd the weather colder. I just wanted to know as i want my new ladies to be happy.

2. kuntrychick

kuntrychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    Besides the weather being colder & less hours of daylight, stress from moving can cause them to quit laying a while until they get adjusted. So, any or all of those may be going on with your new chickens.

You could try adding some vitamins/electrolytes to their water. It is recommended in times of stress, such as moving and extreme temperatures.

3. WilsonAcres

WilsonAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Milton
    [​IMG] They may need to just get settled in..I've heard on here before that they'll stop laying when moved and once they're settled in and secure in the new home they start back up [​IMG]

4. taffjenks

taffjenks Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2011
    south wales uk
    i had same problem and thought something was up then 2 weeks after getting them we had 4 eggs off the ladies [​IMG] just give them time to adjust [​IMG] best pets ive ever had now concentrating on chicks [​IMG]

5. Chicky1981

Chicky1981 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2011
    Peterborough UK
    Thank you for your reasurance i thought it might be a combination of things including moving them. Just want them to be happy.

6. Angiebubs

Angiebubs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    Adding to what the others said..I added hens from someone only 5 mins away-but due to a new environment, it was about 2 wks before they started laying again

7. taffjenks

taffjenks Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2011
    south wales uk
    well hope you have fun with them [​IMG] i no i have and now always adding

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by