new chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hdowden, Feb 2, 2012.

1. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    ok i will be getting 3 new hens in 2 weeks and will be quarantined for a month and was wondering whats the best warmer for a wide range of worms would be. these hens will be a year old and are oegb. sorry i asked for the best warmers before and forgot to write them down. also whats the best for mites both in the feathers and on the legs. i have read several times that Vaseline works well for the legs.

edited for the spelling mistakes i made last night/ this morning

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vaseline is used for scaly leg mites, slather it on their legs about 2-3 times a week for as long as it takes to get rid of them. You can use sevin dust to dust the new birds, you'll want to redust them in 10 days. Valbazen (albendazole) liquid cattle/sheep wormer or Safeguard (fenbendazole) liquid goat wormer would be best worm them, either will work. Redose them again 10 days after the first dosing. I'm glad you're quarantining them.

3. ThePigeonKid

ThePigeonKid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
  4. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    what would be the dosage for the small chickens on the warmer? besides seven dust is there anything that could also be used? (this time i am writing it all down lol [​IMG])

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Valbazen dosage is 1/2cc for standards, 1/4cc for smaller birds.
    Safeguard liquid goat wormer is 1cc for giants, 3/4cc for large fowl, 1/2cc for standards, 1/4cc for smaller birds.
    With either wormer, redose again in 10 days. There's a 24 day withdrawal period start to finish. Either wormers are administered orally, use a syringe without a needle to dose them.
    I only use sevin dust.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  6. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    ok the seven dust i know of the lable reads keep away from animals and people alike along with dont breath it in with this being the case how can it safly be applyed to chickens without killing them?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    We've used sevin dust in our vegetable gardens since the 60's. I've used it on dogs for years. I've used it on my chickens and some of them are 7 years old. Dump some sevin dust in a pillow case. Put the chicken in the pillow case with its head sticking out the top. Grab its neck with one hand while holding the rest of the chicken inside the pillow case. Then "shake and bake." Then put some dust on your fingers and rub it onto its neck and head...avoid the eyes and nostrils. Then release the chicken. She will shake herself off and go about her business. Repeat again in 10 days. Wear a mask and wear chicken clothes/shoes.

8. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    the hens have been laying and i will crack a few to see if they are fertile, can i still incubate the eggs after i worm and dust them?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by