1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

new chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chickengirl47, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Chickengirl47

Chickengirl47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2012
    Louisiana
    I have seven chickens and I am going to get more, but I was wondering how I can raise new baby chicks in the same coop as five month-old pullets? Will the pullets kill the baby chicks?

Thank you!

2. audrey02026

audrey02026 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Dedham, Ma
    Yes they will peck at the chicks. Do you have somewhere to raise them until they are at least 8 weeks. I raise mine until about 8 weeks in my basement or garage. Then I have a small coop I keep them in for a week then I let them free range with the older birds for awhile and when I notice that the older ones are tolerating the younger ones more and they are all occupying the same parts of the yard I mix them in the same coop. If you don't or can't get a smaller coop some people use dog crates in there coop so they can see each other but not harm them...once they are old enough to be outside that is.

3. Chickengirl47

Chickengirl47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2012
    Louisiana
    Yes i do,i have a plastic box that i can keep them in, will that be good?[​IMG] thanks!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by