new chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by persephone, Nov 14, 2013.

1. persephone

persephone New Egg

May 6, 2012
    Hi! I have had 5 barred rock chickens for a little over two years. My daughter who lives in another town, called me exitedly on Sat. morning and said, Mom there are 3 chickens in my backyard. One was rhode island red and the other two, I'm not sure, they look like Sussex or something of that nature. My daughter brought them over to my house, since after looking around and asking neighbors about them, no one seemed to know where they came from, and we were concerned about their safety (my daughter lives in an urban area, I live in a small town.) They were definately owned by someone, since they are in beautiful shape and very people friendly. The Rhode Island Red however, pecks at my barred rocks, and they run away from her! Will it get any better? Thanks

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It should. They will have to establish the new flock's pecking order, so there will be some of this til they settle down. Try a hanging cabbage or flock blodk for distraction, and if you can, give them plenty of space with some hiding pllaces. I'd also put out a separate waterer and feeder for a few days. Watch for blood, and if no one is injured, let them work it out.

3. X2, Rhode Island Reds tend to be a bit aggressive to other chickens. But it usually stops after the pecking order is established .
    Good Luck!

4. persephone

persephone New Egg

May 6, 2012
    thanks for your reply! Keeping my eyes, on them, I believe the RI red is much younger than my barred rocks, I'll watch and see, hang a cabbage and what was the other thing you mentioned? Thanks again!

Persephone

5. persephone

persephone New Egg

May 6, 2012
    Thank you, rooster sand hens, Any idea how long the pecking order takes? Thanks! persephone

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Weeks, sometimes.

7. persephone

persephone New Egg

May 6, 2012
    Been a month now, since I got the RIR and the sussex chicken, I think pecking order is established, now they are all in the coop, since the snow is on the ground, one thing I will say about the RIR is she is full of personality, she is very friendly towards ppl, and even tries to jump into the car with me!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by