new Chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Myriam, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Myriam

Myriam Out Of The Brooder

Dec 25, 2012
    So, I got four chicken four days ago and we live in southern California where it's still pleasantly sunny. The chickens spend all day in the coop other than coming out maybe once for food and maybe, maybe another time for a treat if I hold it under their beaks long enough?! They're about 7-8 months and not broody. No clue why they're not roaming around!

2. BorneHomestead

BorneHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2013
    The stress of the move may be why they are acting like they are. Are you keeping them separate from the rest of your flock?

3. Myriam

Dec 25, 2012
    I only have the four chickens.

4. BorneHomestead

BorneHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2013
    sorry thought you were adding more chickens, no worries. it is most likely just due to the stress of moving them from where they were to your place. give them a bit to get used to your place and they should start free ranging in no time.

5. Myriam

Dec 25, 2012
    ok, will do, thanks for the imput :)

6. shmeggs

shmeggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2013
    my first hens I got were already laying. when I brought them home because of the stress of moving it took about week and a half to start laying again. when they starting laying it was just one or two a day for about a week then I was getting 6 eggs a day, I had 6 hens to start. good luck.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    They are in new surroundings and are just figuring out what is safe, is all. Most chickens are very aware they're not the top of the food chain and like sheltered environments until they have a good handle on their new homes. Just give them time, is all. Scattering scratch or something like that outside to entice them doesn't hurt, either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by