New Chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Jenace, Nov 14, 2014.

1. Jenace

Jenace Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2014
    AZ
    I'm planning on getting chickens this year. Three of them to be exact. One -- a blue Andalusian, two -- a brahma, and three -- an Easter Egger. I wanted some tips about these girls. Do you think they will get along? [​IMG]

Thanks,
    ~Jenace

2. mtngirl35

mtngirl35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2013
    Tennessee
    They should get used to each other and settle the pecking order. I have barred rocks, black australorps, black sexlinks, and some mixed breed hens. They all get along just fine. Some chickens are bossier than others. My rocks are my bossy chickens. But I have no major squabbles and I plan on adding buff orpingtons next spring. Will you be raising them from chicks?

3. Jenace

Jan 3, 2014
    AZ
    Yes, I will be getting them as chicks.

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Then you'll be fine.
    I caution that if you have space for more, to get more chicks.
    Reason being is that you'll eat more eggs when you have delicious fresh eggs in your back yard, chickens die and if that happens, they're flock animals and don't do well alone. Finally, it's much harder to add birds later to an established flock.

5. Jenace

Jan 3, 2014
    AZ
    OK. Do you think five would be an OK size? I know that's small, and I have lots of space, but I can't have a large flock. :(

6. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Only you can decide but get as many as you're allowed and comfortably have room for.
    They don't have to die but sometimes they do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by