New Chickens?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Herweyer 5, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Herweyer 5

Herweyer 5 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2014
    We are thinking of getting some more chicken, maybe a Ester Egger, or Isa Brown, wondering if those are nice good layers, or if you have any suggestions. Thanks[​IMG]

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

EEs are a wonderful breed who lay colorful eggs. They are cold hardy and affectionate.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/easter-eggers

Make sure that you quarantine the new birds for at least three weeks. Here is a link on how to do that
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...often-underestimated-part-of-raising-chickens

Then you have to introduce them to other flock slowly and carefully. The see but don't touch method is the most effective. Put a barrier in between the two groups so they can't reach each other but can still see each other. Do this for as long as needed with two weeks being the minimum. Then let them mix. Be sure to provide extra feeders and waterers as bossy hens often hog these and starve the others.

Good luck!

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

Of the two breeds you've listed, I've only had the Easter Egger. Mine has been sweet, docile, and a good layer of 5-6 eggs a week. She isn't quite as personable and inquisitive as my Wyandottes, but is still a nice bird that lays pretty green eggs.

For more information on those two breeds, I suggest taking a look at them in the Breeds section:

Easter Eggers
    Red Sex Link

There isn't a particular section for ISA Browns in the Breeds section, but there is one for Red Sex-Links, which ISA Browns are (they're just a specific Red Sex-Link cross):

I hope this helps!

4. mtngirl35

mtngirl35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2013
    Tennessee
    Both should be good layers for you. I remember reading on wikipedia that the Isa Brown breed was developed for egg production. My Black Sexlinks are my best layers, closely followed by my Barred Rocks and Black Australorp. I also have a mixed breed hen that lays good, too. My 6 girls usually give me 2 1/2 dozen eggs a week. They're molting now, though, so no eggs.[​IMG]

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC, again! Easter Eggers are decent to good layers depending on the hybrid mix. Isa Brown is one of a number of labels under which some hatcheries market their Red Sex Links. Other labels under which Red Sex Links are marketed include Red Star, Gold Sex Link, Brown Sex Link, Cinnamon Queen, Golden Buff, Bovans Brown, Gold Star, Golden Comet, Hubbard Golden Comet, Shaver Brown, Babcock Brown, Warrens, HyLines, Gold Lines, Lohmans, Lohmans Brown, Bovans Goldline, etc., but no matter which label they are marketed under, Red Sex Links are egg laying machines. I've raised them for years (bought under a number of these different labels) and they, along with my Black Sex Links, have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year. If you live in a cold winter area, you might want to consider Black Sex Links (Black Stars) as well. Mine have been somewhat friendlier than my Red Sex Links, and have slightly outlayed my RSLs in really cold winter weather. Whatever layers you decide to get, good luck with your flock.

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

I've found Easter Eggers to be good egg layers and docile, pretty birds. I don't have experience with Isa Browns.

Good luck with whatever birds you choose!

8. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

What ever breed you chose to keep, I hope they bring you great joy. Welcome to our flock!

9. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] So glad you joined us.

10. WhitneyG

WhitneyG Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2013
    Hello! I have two EE's I got in April. So far they are consistent layers (they lay colored eggs - love it!) and are not too skidish. Also I LOVE how they look - they're so adorable - they have puffy little cheeks :) and each EE seems to be really unique as far as coloring. If you're looking for good layers, Rhode Island Reds are great, I think, and they're very tame, too. Although the RIR roosters have a reputation of being aggressive (which from experience is very true.) I haven't had any Isa Browns. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by