New Chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by shani914, Feb 5, 2015.

1. shani914

shani914 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2014
    Hello, I have two questions. So one of my two chickens died a few days ago from a predator attack, and I have already received two new chickens. I only have one coop and I have kept them in a large cage for about a day. My questions are:

(1) How long should I quarantine them for?
    (2) Do you guys have any cute names for them? One is a barred rock and the other is a white leghorn.

2. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Keeping them separate is not a bio-security quarantine, many chicken illnesses travel through air. So you have already broken quarantine, but if all seems healthy, I would not worry about it.

The big question is are they close to the same size? If so, just put them together at night. Introducing two newcomers to one established bird should be about even if they are all close to the same age and size. There may be some scuffling, do make sure there are some roosts, and hide outs where they can get away from each other.

Mrs K

3. shani914

Nov 8, 2014
    My coop is small and doesn't have too many hideouts. I am also worried because I introduced them to each other and my black sex link challenged the white leghorn (even though there are bars separating them). They are 10, 6, and 3 months old.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  5. shani914

Nov 8, 2014
    [​IMG] This is an image of my coop; it can hold up to five chickens. I live in Texas and it's relatively cold right now.

6. tjb86

tjb86 New Egg

Feb 6, 2015
    Texas
    I am in the exact same boat as you. I just got on to ask the same question.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    They say those coops can hold up to 5 chickens...but they are fibbing.....I wouldn't try to keep more than 2 adult large fowl chickens in there, if that.

I'm sorry, I can't think of a solution other than get a larger coop....or rig up another enclosure using some fencing.

8. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    You could lean a board up against the fence. It does not have to be huge, say 12 inches wide, 2-3 feet long. Don't put it in the corner, as a bird can get trapped. Put a roost kitty corner in the outside area, about 2 1/2 feet off the ground. Use an old handle or closet bar, and just stick it in the fence. These may make the run look cluttered, but they actually give the birds more space, and they can get out of sight or away from each other.

Then put them together. There may be a little fighting, but if they are close to the same size, it should go pretty good. If I have read your post correctly, you have one established hen in her own coop, and are adding two birds. The established bird has dominance as it is her coop, she will defend it most likely. However, she really can't beat both of the pair being added at the same time. And birds like to be flock animals, in a couple of days they may not be friends, but the worst will be over. Get some good hard cold weather, and they will flock right up.

ps. I think you could get along with the right 3 birds in that set up, but no more. Maybe 5 bantams.

Mrs K

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  9. shani914

Nov 8, 2014
    So when they start fighting, should I allow them to fight it out or should I stop them?

10. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Unless a bird is pinned down, unable to defend itself, or serious blood is being drawn, I'd let them work it out. This is how they establish pecking order. Chicken society isn't pretty and peaceful all the time. Yes, an established flock can be, but they have already worked out their pecking order. Even then, there are squabbles when one decides to shake things up now and then.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by