New chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by bianca81, May 24, 2015.

1. bianca81

bianca81 Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2015
    Hi
    We have just a week ago had some chickens delivered from the sheds ( there eggs were used for testing )
    They seem to be loving there new home but one is very featherless and has red skin ?
    They have just started to eat there eggs ? I have just placed some golf balls where they were laying but that seems to be slowing down now ?
    And non of them have very rev comb ?
    Sorry for the list of questions but I'm new to all this my mum had chickens but never had my own
    Many thanks Bianca

2. bianca81

May 24, 2015
    [​IMG]

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Your chicken with feather loss is probably the result of overcrowding stress and poor nutrition. She needs a lot of protein to get those feathers grown back in, and she might not look normal until her next molt. Feed a flock raiser or all flock feed to help increase their protein levels. Offer a calcium supplement like crushed oysters shells in a separate feeder, and have it filled and available all day. Increasing protein and giving a additional calcium should resolve any egg eating. They might not be laying well right now due to the stress of change in their environment. Moving from one place to another is very stressful on a chicken, and the first thing that gets shut down is egg production. You may also want to treat all of the chickens for pests like lice and mites.

1 person likes this.
  4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]Bianca, nice to meet you, welcome to Backyard Chickens. How nice of you to take in those poor girls. Once they get healthy and happy, I'm sure they will reward your kindness with eggs and affection.

6. nj2wv

nj2wv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2015
    Lost Creek ,WV
    :frow welcome to BYC !!

7. Book Em Danno25

Book Em Danno25 Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]Welcome to BYC!![​IMG]

Glad you joined the flock. If you have any questions, feel free to ask around. [​IMG]

[​IMG]Turkenstein25[​IMG]

8. bianca81

May 24, 2015
    [quote HELP
    MY BROODH HEN HAS JUST STARTED TO HATCH HER EGGS AND SHE HAS RED MITE WHAT DO I DO

9. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    You need to post in our Predators and Pest section. I am not sure if it is safe to do a whole lot if she is hatching right now.

Start a new thread here... https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/13/predators-and-pests

Good luck! :)

10. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you join us. Junebuggena and TwoCrows have given you some good advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by