New Chickie mom in GA.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gapeach717, Mar 9, 2012.

1. gapeach717

gapeach717 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    North, ga
    HI EVERYONE!!

I have wanted Chickens my whole entire life...and finally....at almost 30, I got some!! Yippee!!! I went with my kids and hand picked some at TSC yesterday. They are 4 days old today. I have a guess that the "twins" are Mottled Cochin Bantams (is is coke-in or coach-in?) but the others are all a mystery to me! I am hoping they are all girls, but I have a feeling already but what I have been reading here I may have 2 boys...time will tell! Would love some guesses! They came out of the assorted bantam box.

First pic of the pack!
    [​IMG]

The "twins" are Ellie May and Daisy May, the silvery one is Lolly Pop, the chipmunk looking one (the only one without furry legs and feet) is Sara (picked out and named by my 4 year old daughter) the smallest of the bunch, a very dark little baby is Princess Lay-a (named by and picked out by my 7 year old son) and the biggest of the fluffy feets, a larger black one with a gorgeous goldenish red undertone on its face and cheeks is Dixie. :)

Some pics this morning...

[​IMG]
    (Dixie)

[​IMG]
    (Princess Lay-a)

[​IMG]
    (Lolly Pop)

[​IMG]
    (the beautiful back of Sara)

[​IMG]
    (part of Dixie and Ellie May....i think....)

[​IMG]

they insist on sleeping IN the food! LOL!!

I would LOVE any guesses as to what kind of babies you think they are! I am SOOOOO excited!!! I built my very first thing ever this last week which was an exercise play area for limited outside playtime (supervised of course) when the warmer weather comes! I am in LOVE with my baby chickies!!! I even sing when I go to their room (the kids bathroom is the safe room) "Chickie chickie chickieeeees!"

Thanks for having us!!
    xoxo

2. jdesq1

jdesq1 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2012
    Good luck with your new chicks! Mine are coming in 5 days, Can't wait!!

3. gapeach717

Mar 9, 2012
    North, ga
    Thanks!! I am so in love!!!

4. Kay56

Kay56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2012
    Hi...they are soooo adorable....I get mine in May,,that is so far off.[​IMG] Keep us posted with pictures,,,,,it is nice to see how they progress.

5. gapeach717

Mar 9, 2012
    North, ga
    I feel like a proud new mom!! I wanna post video and pics everywhere of them!! :) they are so cute!!!

6. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    I believe that chipmunky one is a golden duckwing color. Probably an old english game bantam or other game bird.

7. gapeach717

Mar 9, 2012
    North, ga
    Thanks! I swear her (I hope) stripe was more of a stripe yesterday but today seems more spotty? Is that possible? Or do I have heat lamp vision? :p

8. gapeach717

Mar 9, 2012
    North, ga
  9. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    I think it is far more likely to be a BBR (black breasted red), which is much more common than crele. Both BBR chicks are your chipmunky color. I have a boy that is BBR x ? and he got the coolest little chick wing feathers (on left) - I'm guessing a comparable female wouldn't have this coloration:

[​IMG]

10. gapeach717

Mar 9, 2012
    North, ga
    So do you think that the brighter flashier coloration may be a sign Sara is not a girl? These are my first chicks, but I have been doing tons of reading on this site and by his ones behavior I have my doubts of dreaming pink for this one already! ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by