1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New chickie mom!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BackyardBitten, Feb 28, 2013.

1. BackyardBitten

BackyardBitten Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    Just bought my first chickies ever!!! I am so excited and have been doing research for two years on breeds and so forth. But that seemed to go out the door thanks to TSC and their unorganized process they call "chick days." Don't get me wrong i like TSC, it's just that I didn't know that in Indiana there is a law or something that states you can't buy any less than 6 chicks. Anyway pics to come soon, I just wanted to shout it from the proverbial "roof tops" about finally having some chicks of my own!!!!!! Can't wait to see them grow!
    4 "leghorn" wild card pullets and 2 silver laced wyandotts

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  2. JillTx

JillTx Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2013
    Tomball, Texas
    Outside of Houston, Texas and we just got our first 6 ever today as well. We have wanted them for a while, lived on acreage, but the HOA was no chickens. We moved and it's OK here. They are two days old, in the 1/2 bath under a light. We are so excited. I wanted 3-4 as I want other breeds, but I had to buy 6 as well. Tractor Supply pullet purchase. They are either Rhode Island Reds, New Hampshire Red, Red Sex Link or Dark Rhode Island. This was all they had that wasn't straight run! They are inside, as our normally mild climate will be freezing weather this coming weekend!

Congratulations!!

3. Kay1993

Kay1993 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2013
    Hawaii
    Congratulations! Can't wait to see pics [​IMG]

4. BackyardBitten

Jul 8, 2012
    Congrats to you as JillTx! There is a first time for everything and I am just chalking this up to a lesson learned and next year I will probably spend the money to get some from a hatchery for specific breeds. Everyone seems to be settling in, drinking, eating.... so am content for now, but i feel like i have been bitten by the chicken bug!

5. loraleaf

loraleaf Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2013
    I too just went and picked out our first baby chicks...we live south of houston too but I decided to get them from a individual rather than a feed store, so I didn't have to buy a minimum #....we picked out 4 from this hatch and will get 4 more from another hatch in a couple of weeks so we ended up with 8! =O they are about 3 weeks old and will not be coming home for another week b/c of a business trip planned for next week. Sad not to get to bring them home but I kow its for the best. Ended up with a barnyard mix for these 4 and will be getting americauna and buff orphington from the new hatch. Also kicking around the idea of a couple of serams for fun!
    I'm so excited!!

6. BackyardBitten

Jul 8, 2012
    yes loraleaf i agree that buff orps and 'caunas are awesome backyarders. They were on my top 5 list for breeds along with wyandotts and dominiques. Hopefully i can find and individual in Indiana who may have a few ameracaunas!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by