New Chickie Mom

cbarn

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 17, 2014
I got my first chicks yesterday at a local feed store. This is my first time raising baby chicks:) I've noticed that one of the has "sticky butt" I'm guessing from what I've read. When I picked her up to clean her off I noticed that her bottom is red and swollen:( What do I do? Help.

TwoCrows

A Native Raven
Staff member
Premium member
9 Years
Mar 21, 2011
New Mexico, USA
My Coop
My Coop

Welcome to BYC!

Congrats on your new chicks! I am sorry about the one with Pasty Butt. You will need to soak her butt in warm water to get the poop off. Then blow dry her off so she doesn't chill. You can put some apple cider vinegar in the drinking water to help balance the gut. 3/4 teaspoon per 1 quart of water in a plastic waterer only. Change and make new daily. You can also use probiotics. Human grade is fine. Just dump a capsule of powder into 1 quart waterer, change and make new daily. Don't rub the red area on the butt. That will heal as the pasty butt heals as well.

Pasty Butt is caused by a few things...number one is dehydration. So make sure they all know where the water is by dipping all the beaks in the water when you first put them in the brooder. You can do this now again to make sure they all know where it is. It is also caused by too hot or too cold temps in the brooder. So make sure you are using a good thermometer. You should be starting them between 95 and 90 degrees. Somewhere in between is fine. Keep the heat off to one side with thermometer on the floor directly beneath the heat source. Keep the food and water on the other side so they have to leave the heat to get to the goods. The brooder should be large enough that there are cool spots on the other side of the brooder, so about 1/2 square foot per baby. You will need to make more room as they grow. Do not cover the lid of the brooder with anything but a screen or wire for good heat and oxygen exchange. Lower the heat by 5 degrees each week for 6 weeks. You can also lay down paper towels and sprinkle feed on the floor all around the feeder so they all know where the food is kept. You can remove these towels in a few days once they all know where the feed is stored.

Enjoy your new babies! Keep us posted on the little one that is having troubles. Welcome to our flock!

cbarn

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 17, 2014
Thanks Two Crows:) Is it ok for the other chicks to have the apple cider vinegar?

TwoCrows

A Native Raven
Staff member
Premium member
9 Years
Mar 21, 2011
New Mexico, USA
My Coop
My Coop
Thanks Two Crows:) Is it ok for the other chicks to have the apple cider vinegar?
Yes, it is good for all poultry. It will help to stabilize and raise the PH in the body, increase appetites, contains a lot of trace minerals that they normal don't get in their feed and it is good for the feathers. It also helps to ward off bacteria and virus's. A great tonic for all birds! It is mixed the same way for babies as well as adults. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom