new chicks, 1 w/ bloody stool - UPDATE IN OP

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MomMommyMamma, Jul 3, 2010.

1. MomMommyMamma

MomMommyMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    West Virginia
    I just got 6 chicks from a breeder in OH. The chicks traveled 3 hrs in the car (in a box) yesterday. They have been pretty jumpy but I am thinking that's just because they have not been handled much. This evening we settled down and were holding 3 of them quite peacefully. The blue araucana pooped a bloody stool. The other two chicks also pooped but they were normal. The Polish chick seems a little lethargic. It often lays its head down. Also has wakeful times though.
    The chicks range in age from about 3 wks to about 5 wks. I'm not sure what to do since it's 8PM here on July 3. Any suggestions? Should I separate the one chick we know has bloody stool? Shall I hold the others and watch their stool to see if there are more w/ this?
    Thanks so much.

UPDATE:
    Today is day 2 of Corid treatment. I had separated out the 2 chicks that seemed the sickest - the Polish and an Ameraucana. The Polish is acting so much more "normal" today. No more laying with its face in the shavings. No bloody stools in their box this morning either. There was however bloody stool in the brooder w/ the other 4 chicks from the same breeder. Glad I started them on Corid yesterday as well. Will be so glad when it's done and we have healthy chicks!

Thank you soooo much for all of your great advice over the holiday weekend! You probably helped me to save these chicks!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  2. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    I would seperate and make sure only that one is doing it. It could be cocci, but not sure. Some chicks can have a bit of bloody stool sometimes, but if it is happening a lot then it has cocci.

http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0
    that has a pic of normal-intestine lining poo that looks bloody, and a pic of what cocci poo looks like.

3. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    Quote:[​IMG]

4. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    Treat them all with Sulmet for Cocci

5. MomMommyMamma

Jun 13, 2010
    West Virginia
    Here's a totally icky pic. It's evening here so that's why it looks a bit dim. I was holding the chick on an old cloth diaper which is why the liquid is so absorbed. I took this pic about 45 min after it happened.
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for all advice. I hope there's a feed store open tomorrow. I hate to have to wait. [​IMG]

6. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    I read to put about 1 tbs of apple cider vinegar in a gallon of water water. If you have any plain yogurt or cottage cheese that might be good to give them to help them a little.

7. Sillystunt

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    Corrid works better for cocci..................... I would treat them!!!! Pamperedpullet sells it! Eric could ship some or try TSC

Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  8. Sillystunt

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    Quote:apple cider vinagar is great for keeping algea away! I put some in my water all the time.
    I wouldn't do cottage cheese but plain yogurt is a probiotic and is great to give them as treats and after anti biotics. The anti biotics can be hard on their intestines.......................

I put yogurt down and run cause they splash it everywhere.............hahahahahahaa

Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  9. MomMommyMamma

Jun 13, 2010
    West Virginia
    Quote:Thanks for the helpful link!
    If I separate that one chick - is that going to be even more stressful for it? And haven't the other 4 now been exposed anyway? I hate to make it harder on the little one. Such a bummer for all involved. [​IMG]
    Going to the store to get some plain vanilla. Will also do the apple cider vinegar though I'm a little confused about the reason for it. Just for algae control in waterers or is it helpful in this situation?
    Thanks so much!

10. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    Quote:Thanks for the helpful link!
    If I separate that one chick - is that going to be even more stressful for it? And haven't the other 4 now been exposed anyway? I hate to make it harder on the little one. Such a bummer for all involved. [​IMG]
    Going to the store to get some plain vanilla. Will also do the apple cider vinegar though I'm a little confused about the reason for it. Just for algae control in waterers or is it helpful in this situation?
    Thanks so much!

Well, when I looked more on info, appetite loss and odd posture are signs of cocci too. So your polish may have it, not sure. I think maybe you can keep them together, but I have not dealt with cocci so not sure.

The apple cider vinegar is acidic, and can help beat down, I guess that is a good enough term [​IMG] the cocci til you can get meds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by