New chicks & 1 week old chicks... seperate cages? same cages?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by AlotaBitCountry, Mar 10, 2012.

1. AlotaBitCountry

AlotaBitCountry Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2012
    Ord Nebraska
    I have 3 buff orpingtons i got about a week ago, they were about a day old when i got them. today i got 3 new chicks that are probably a couple days old. can i put them together or keep them seperate?? the 3 buffs are pretty bouncy and play alot and jump around and the 3 i got today ( 2 barred rock and 1 rhode island red ) are really really calm and relaxed and dont even run from you. When i got home i put the babies with the buffs for a second to see and the buffs sort of started staring them down and they tried to peck them, so i seperated them right away and they are now in seperate cages. should i keep them seperate or were they just testing them or checking them out or what??

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It is usually considered safe to mix chicks of different ages if they are all less than a month old.

3. AlotaBitCountry

Mar 5, 2012
    Ord Nebraska
    will the little bit older ones stop pecking at them??
    they are all for sure less than a month old but i just would feel bad if the babys got like pecked to death

4. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    [​IMG]

I added 3 Black austrolorps to my group of 2 week old Speckled sussex and deleware chicks and they are still doing fine.
    Maybe put them in at night when they are going to sleep and watch closely. If they are still bullying in the morning then separate and try again in a few days.

5. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    If your brooder is big enough they'll stop pecking at one another except for the occasional pecking order thing. When they first go onto roosts that always happens, I provide a roost after a week. Give a little structure for the wee ones to go behind or in if they are really getting singled out. I've seen old Quaker Oats canisters used. Rocks and RIR's are tough individuals and should be fine, be just as active in a week.

6. AlotaBitCountry

Mar 5, 2012
    Ord Nebraska
    okay, ill try and see. i better wait for the small ones to get a bit bigger, the others are about 2-3 times their size and they peck right at their eyeballs, but ive been trying to integrate them. well see how it goes.

i have a brooder that i turned from an exlarge dog kennel that has the 3 buffs in it
    and then i used a medium sized kennel with a shoot out the front about the same size instead of the front gate of the kennel.
    both are large and there are 3 chicks in each. certainly enough room in the xlarge kennel for 6 chicks id imagine?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by