New Chicks, 4 possible parenting combinations!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by freezefamilyfarm, Nov 23, 2010.

1. freezefamilyfarm

freezefamilyfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2010
    Ok, I have these chicks from eggs a neighbor gave me. Possible parents are: Rhode Island Red and Araucana Rooster
    Black Austrolorp and Black Star Hens

What do you think they are? Especially the yellow one? The one in the seperate box is a BCMarans, its the 3 upfront I am wondering about. Also do you think the one with the white spot is a roo? If his mom was black star would that trait carry to him?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Umm, are you sure the one in the separate box is a Black Copper Marans? I see what looks like a white dot on its head, which signifies it's a common 'ol Cuckoo Marans.

And, are you sure one of the parents may be an Araucana, not an Easter Egger? [​IMG] Araucanas are pretty rare, and should pass on green legs, no tail, and no muffs or beard.

That aside, the seller must have not known his breeds, because none of those parents could make the chick with the white dot on its head. That white dot signifies barring, and the only barred possibility from your list would be a Black Star/Sex Link rooster not hen.

The yellow one and the solid black one I'd need details on the color of legs and type of comb to tell you the parents. So far the list of posible parents don't make sense with the yellow one, honestly. It would need stripes on its back or some black smudging in its down.

3. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    If the breeds mentioned are the only possibility of parenting these 3 chicks, I would assume the chick with the white dot on its head came from the Black Star - she's the only one of the 4 that would have the gene to make barred chicks since her daddy was a barred rock. I have no idea though, whether that means this chick is a male or female. First generation sexlinks can be sexed by color - I believe when sexlinks (the Black Star) are bred, the color coded sexing rules no longer work with the offspring.

I think the white on the chick in the box is on its face, not the top of its head? If so, then it still looks like it could be a BCM chick.

As for identifying the other chicks - I'm not experienced enough with mixes to say which breeds they came from - unless one has an extra fluffy face - if so, then its daddy was probably an Easter Egger (which some people still call Araucanas) and could lay colored eggs someday.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I don't think the barring gene "hides" in a bsl. I asked this question once and one of the color gene guys (ridgerunner, maybe?) showed me it ain't so.

I also am not seeing how those parents could have begat the barred chick. Or the yellow one, truthfully. I'd be interesting to have the OP post back in four months or so..............

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Barring doesn't hide in a Black Sex Link hen, which is why I mentioned the impossibilities of the white dotted one having a Sex Link mother. The whole goal in sex links is behind the fact that females cannot carry only one barred allele. It is either that they have it and show it or they don't. [​IMG]

6. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    Then I must be wrong about the Black Star being 1 of the parents - I'm not real savvy about barred chicken genes - I just thought that the hen must be carrying the gene still, since one of her parents was barred. And.... it was the only 1 of the 4 that even seemed possible to produce barred offspring. I guess there must be more possibilities than listed after all.

How about this? Could the "araucana" actually be a barred Easter Egger? I've seen some of those before here on BYC. Ha ha - that's reaching... but still could be possible.

To the OP: Can you contact the seller and verify the parent possibilites? Ask if there are any more possibilities than mentioned and also ask the color of her araucana. A lot of local chicken owners here call their Easter Eggers araucanas because that's what the feed store or hatchery calls them. I have several myself that I picked up out of the "araucana" bin and they have turned into beautiful easter eggers.

7. freezefamilyfarm

freezefamilyfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2010
    As for the chick in the box, that was yellow and it was on his face (and tummy). He, sadly, did not make it and I'm sure he was a BCM.

On the aracauna subject, I am finding that most people around here have mixes (EE) and just call them aracaunas because they lay green eggs. I might see that neighbor this week and I'll ask what color the "aracauna" is. I found out yesterday that the chickens I own and had been told were aracauna, but I thought were Ameracaunas are Easter Eggers as well. I have two white and black ones. But these are from a different source than the chicks.

Legs-the yellow one's legs are totally orange. The black one with the white spot has orange toes and legs are black from there up. The all black one has mostly orange toes and black/orange are spotty from there up.

Comb- they all have what looks like a little orange single comb between their eyes.

The yellow one DOES have sort of a lighter yellow spot on its head, it kind of looks like a highlight in the photo.

My hopes for these guys are just that at least one is a hen and a good layer. They were free (unlike the BCM) and this was my first incubation. I would be pleased if one was barred, that is my favorite pattern.

Thanks for picking your brains for me! I will keep you updated!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by