new chicks...a couple of questions about their diggs

HollywoodHens

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 24, 2010
Hollywood, FL
I know you're supposed to have paper towel down at first...when can I switch them to pine shavings?

Also, my first batch of chicks I used a small circular metal chick feeder with 8 or 9 silver dollar sized holes for them to eat from...but pine always got into and covered the food. Now I have the food in small glass bowls, but they kick it out...all over! A trough that attaches to the wall is not an option, since i am using a cardboard box and have no way to attach it to the box...

Lastly, the brooder temp is 90-87, but they are all trying to get away from the light and to the outside of the brooder...can i keep it a bit cooler? (i'm in FL and it's relatively warm here)

Can I put them outside in an enclosure in the sun during the day if it's warm (ambient temp), draft free, ect??

Thanks!

Right now I have paper towels over my pine shavings! I think I heard they'll end up making a game of taking them off, so I'm going to leave it in for a week and see how it goes. It's just to make it so that they don't eat the bedding over the real food.
smile.png

Try lifting it on a small brick or something the like, that way they have to reach to get it when they're hungry instead of just play time!

Most people (including me) don't go by thermometer for brooders, just how the chirpy chirps act. Mine run around a lot at 90 degrees, and it's their first week (it's supposed to be 95 degrees, but it's too hot for them!), so just adjust to how the chicks act.
smile.png
If they're everywhere, then it's perfect! Crowding on the sides away from the heat, too hot, and bunched together under it, too cold.
big_smile.png

I personally have no idea on that one because it's too cold up north, but I've seen threads of people having mini tarp brooders outside, so why not as long as it's safe?
smile.png

I know you're supposed to have paper towel down at first...when can I switch them to pine shavings? After only a day or so. The paper towel is just until they learn that food is in the feeder and pine shavings are not food

Also, my first batch of chicks I used a small circular metal chick feeder with 8 or 9 silver dollar sized holes for them to eat from...but pine always got into and covered the food. Now I have the food in small glass bowls, but they kick it out...all over! A trough that attaches to the wall is not an option, since i am using a cardboard box and have no way to attach it to the box...The best solution I found was to make a "bridge" to put the feeder on. I started with 2 tuna cans and a scrap piece of lumber between them. The feeder sat on that. It was about the height of their back so they could reach the food but didn't kick shavings into it. As they grew, I replaced the cans with taller and taller cans. By the time they were 4 weeks old, I was using 15oz vegie cans.

Lastly, the brooder temp is 90-87, but they are all trying to get away from the light and to the outside of the brooder...can i keep it a bit cooler? (i'm in FL and it's relatively warm here). If they're trying to get away from the heat, its too hot. You can lower the heat by raising the lamp up higher or using a lower wattage bulb.

Can I put them outside in an enclosure in the sun during the day if it's warm (ambient temp), draft free, ect??Yep!

Back
Top Bottom