New chicks, a few questions?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Ladybug2001, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Ladybug2001

Ladybug2001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2012
    Oklahoma
    I just happened to waltz into Tractor Supply today, not suspecting them to have chickens. Lo and be hold CHICKENS! Alright alright.

So this is my first batch that I will be adding into an exisiting flock.

I have two red sex link hens, (I had four but… dogs), I bought 2 more sex linked pullets, 2 orpington buffs, and two cochins. My tractor supply accidently got a few in with their buffs. Odd?

My questions are…. How should I go about introducing them to my two hens when they are old enough?

I normally take them outside to live at about a month old, is that to soon for either the cochin or orpington?

The two cochins don’t look identical like all chicks normally do when from the same breed. I’m not use to cochins, so maybe you could help me name their color or maybe they are the same and one is older?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. harmonious

harmonious New Egg

Feb 17, 2013
    Columbus Ohio
    My experience is that introduction is best done when the hens are already docile, usually at night when they're roosting. Just slip the chicks in. There still will probably be pecking in the morning so give the chicks a place to run for safety if they need it. I hate watching this process!

3. ellie32526

ellie32526 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2012
    North Texas
    I'm not real experienced, but the top one looks like a buff color and the bottom one looks like it will be white. I'm not very knowledgable about cochins. I'm getting 10 White rocks, 5 buff rocks, 5 black ustralorps, and 5 new hampshires. I've been looking at the chick pics so I can tell them apart when I get them.

4. Ladybug2001

Jun 8, 2012
    Oklahoma
    Yay, that was what was guessing! I would like to have a white hen. I'm going to have all red hens by the time these six grow up.

I am hoping my two girls will take it in stride. They are extremely docile hens. When I call them they come running. They also try and get in my house...

Oh, and since chicks eat a different type of feed until the 18th week would it be possible to pull my hens feed up high enough where the chicks can't get it until they are that old?

5. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    it is pretty cold yet, depending where you are. if you plan on keeping them warm inside till they are older. have a cage in the coop where the hens can visit with the chicks with out beating them up then later you can let them all be together at night.

6. Ladybug2001

Jun 8, 2012
    Oklahoma
    It depends on what mother nature decides. Today it was 65 but thats what it was last Monday, Tuesday there was 3 inches of snow on the ground. So on good warm days I could take them outside for a few an hour or so and let the girls get a good feel for them before acually introducing?

I read that Cochins are slow to mature, will they be ready to stay outside at a month? I'm not worried about the Buffs so much as the Cochins.

7. ellie32526

ellie32526 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2012
    North Texas
    I'm not sure about being outside at 1 month, I've read that they need to stay at a certain temperature until they're fully feathered. Will they have all their feathers by then? I'm still a newbie at this. I was told 90-95 degrees the first week and drop it 5 degrees each week until they are fully feathered.

8. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    at least 6 weeks, I am lucky in that I have a really nice out door cubbord and a momma hen and I screw down a clamp lamp with heat sheild for extra warmth. don't give me the clamp lamp speach I have been doing this forty years and even a dog could not knock down my clamp lamp.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by