New chicks and another breed gender Q

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sirhc76, May 7, 2011.

1. sirhc76

sirhc76 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    I grew up on a ranch and my grandmother had several chickens. Now that I have children I want to give them the same opportunity I had as a child. My wife originally veto'd the bill, after seeing easter chicks at the feed store and getting the guilt trip from the daughter she caved. When I started looking into brown egg layers I immediately recognized wyandottes as a breed my grandmother had. I couldn't find any silver laced and opted for golden laced and partridge, although I have a line on silver laced chicks coming in this week. My daughter also picked out a younger chick that should go well with the new girls coming in this week since its almost time to get the others out of the tub. The feed store told my daughter and I that this baby chick is a Spangled Orloff, from what I can see of pics that doesn't appear to be the case. So what I'm asking is for help to ID the 2 week old and confirmation that the 4 weeks old are, all pullets and actually golden and partridge. The tub they were in for the pics is the temp tub I use when changing out their pine. I created a page and since I'm a new guy I cant link it, hopefully its not that difficult to get to using my board ID. I uploaded a few pics of the young chick and the link to my photobucket page showing the gallery with the others. I didn't want to hog up the sites storage so I didn't load them all to my page. Thanks everyone, looking forward to being a productive and contributing member.

2. Imagica5

Imagica5 Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2011
    AZ
    Hi if you make 10 posts it will let you post pictures as well just FYI can't wait to see your chicks [​IMG]

3. yolkoroo

yolkoroo Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2011
    Thanks for the tip on the posts. I have three chicks that have been dropped off with me to rescue and I don't know what tow of them are. I need to post pics...should I just keep posting replys?

4. yolkoroo

yolkoroo Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2011
    I did figure out that one was a Cornish Cross (Cx) from other posts, and am really dissppointed about that but it explains a lot of my worrys about his breathing and coordination.

5. sirhc76

Apr 30, 2011
    click view my BYC page under my screen name. I don't believe unnecessary posts are required if I go this route?

<-----------------------------

6. sirhc76

Apr 30, 2011
    I'm a patient man [​IMG] Apologize that I cant directly add pics to the thread.

Thanks,

7. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    I think the little black/white chick might be an austrolorop (sp) I am not sure but those are some cute chickens.

8. sirhc76

Apr 30, 2011
    Quote:Thanks I'm thinking the same thing on the little one. I noticed that out of the 6 others, calling them wyandotte for now, one has a very short tail compared to the others. I didn't want to get the younger chick although when I told my daughter she could pick one she said OK how about this one over here. I should have pointed her at the brooder I was looking at and said these are your options [​IMG] Funny, Ideal is 20 minutes from me and they are out of stock on what I was looking for. They were very helpful in directing me to their re sellers although I had to drive almost 2 hours to pick these up. Even more ironic is that the feed store I got them from was 2 miles from my parents house and where I went to grade school. Back to finishing my coop, these girls/guys are getting too big for the box they are in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by