New chicks and Ecoglow 20 vs Standard light?

RESQME49

Songster
6 Years
Jan 21, 2018
Olympia Washington
We picked up some chicks and all the accouterments today. 2x2x4 galvanized tub, feeder, water jug, shavings and a woods brooder light and 250 watt red heat lamp bulb. The heat from that is so uneven, yet so hot at the bulb. I ordered the ecoglow 20 from Brinsea tonight. Supposed to be more efficient, safer better heat for the chicks? It doesnt come for a week, but was curious who has one and what do you think?

This is the first time that I've had chicks so I am no expert. I started out with a heat lamp and got the EcoGlow 20 a few days later. I love it and my chicks seem to love it. Some of them still go under it at night but I've noticed that tonight half of them have chosen to start out in front of it.

This is the first time that I've had chicks so I am no expert. I started out with a heat lamp and got the EcoGlow 20 a few days later. I love it and my chicks seem to love it. Some of them still go under it at night but I've noticed that tonight half of them have chosen to start out in front of it.
Are you using yours in the house or garage? We have ours in the garage and its still chilly at night. Would that be an issue?

My chicks love being under the heating plate. It's comforting for them to go to a dark, warm and quiet spot. They sleep through the night without a bright light on them. It's also so safe and I don't have to worry about a fire hazard.

I love mine. I have used it outdoors and it did fine, though I wouldn’t go to far below the recommended 50 degree ambient temp outside. I use it in the 40s but no lower. Be gentle with it, though. Mine has been tugged around a little too much and has begun having issues with the wire where it enters the heat plate. Just treat it nicely. I’d buy another and won’t go back to a heat lamp except in an emergency.

Back
Top Bottom