New chicks and feeding

AC2020

Chirping
Apr 21, 2020
My chicks should be hatching this week. I have 8 hens (including my broody). I know chicks shouldn't have layer feed until 18 weeks. I don't want my hens to quit laying so how should I separate their food? I thought about hanging the layer feed and then putting the grower feed on the ground for babies and momma. At least the chicks wouldn't be eating the layer food unless a lil dropped on thr ground. Thoughts?

Your hens won't quit laying. It's okay for them to eat some of the chick starter (and they will, they love it) it is just a little too high in protein and low in calcium for them. I suggest putting the chick starter in a place grown up hens can't reach it, to stop them gobbling it all. When the birds all move in together you can switch to flock raiser feed (same as layer feed but without added calcium) for a couple months.

I put my chick crumble under an upside down cage with a small space underneath so the chicks can run in and out but big hens can't fit. I've seen others use a dog crate with big holes in the same way.

Your hens won't quit laying. It's okay for them to eat some of the chick starter (and they will, they love it) it is just a little too high in protein and low in calcium for them. I suggest putting the chick starter in a place grown up hens can't reach it, to stop them gobbling it all. When the birds all move in together you can switch to flock raiser feed (same as layer feed but without added calcium) for a couple months.
Thank you. I'm planning on them all being together now. My broody is hatching them and from a previous post, it seems they'll be fine. Honestly, I'm nervous about this but seems to be more common than I realized. Any thoughts on that?

So then you just transition them back around 18 week mark? What about egg production? BTW, thank you for your response.
I don’t see an egg reduction. I provide oyster shells and grit as a free choice for the flock. I then transition everyone back to All Flock when the littles start laying eggs, not necessarily 18 weeks because everyone starts laying at different times.

Back
Top Bottom