New chicks and hen

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jessicahilluk, May 21, 2008.

1. Jessicahilluk

Jessicahilluk New Egg

May 21, 2008
    United Kingdom
    Hey, new here [​IMG]

For a year now ive had to have one of my hens seperate from the other chickens because she was being bullied. She now has her own coop in a different part of the garden which is sealed off from the other chickens, my only problem is that, instead of going into her coop at night, she sleeps in a tree or on the garden fence, she is currently sitting on eggs, and im worried that once they hatch that when it comes to night-time, she was still insist on sleeping there, instead of her coop, just worried about the chickens being alone at night, do you think she will sleep in the coop once the chicks have hatched?

Thanks [​IMG]

2. Ericasl

Ericasl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    The Dalles OR
    Sorry I don't know the answer, I would hope she would not leave her babies alone. I also wanted to welcome you to BYC. I also have my first 2 broodys sitting on 14 eggs, should hatch June 2. I really think she will stay with them for a few weeks, she may teach them to roost up there to when they are big enough?

3. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    She will most likely either sleep in the coop or on the ground because her instinct will tell her to keep her peeps warm. They know they have to do that. I just had a hen hatch 5 babies and now instead of sleeping in the nesting box, she sleeps on the ground in the coop with all her babies under her staying warm. She will probably do fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by