New chicks and light

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dlaciv12, Apr 22, 2009.

1. dlaciv12

dlaciv12 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2008
    Brockton, MA
    The first 6 have arrived! I am curious about how much light to give them. We are using a 250 watt red lamp but I don't know if they need additional light during the night. If they do how much? We don't actually have anything in the house that isn't a CFL or energy star bulb, will that be OK?
    Thanks!
    Newbie Dave

2. cobrien

cobrien Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Oakland, CA
    the light you have is enough for lighting, but they need heat as well. you want it to be 95 degrees in there for the first week then 5 degrees cooler per week. if you don't have a thermometer, use your judgement - your hand should feel warm but not hot in there. if the chicks pile up under the light they are too cold. if they sleep far from the light it may be too hot in there.

they need light/heat at night too, when they are babies.

3. Huny

Huny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Sunny Southern Arizona
    I think it depends on the amount of space with the amount of heat. I killed four babies in a small box with a 75 watt bulb, and I have a 250 watt bulb outside off the ground 4 feet and they are just fine. Are you talking about an outside area with wind flow, a box, or indoor brooder? I would look more at putting a themometer under the lamp and seeing what the temperature is than relying on size of bulb.

4. dlaciv12

dlaciv12 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2008
    Brockton, MA
    Brooder is cardboard, indoor and it is a 250 watt infra-red heat lamp. Temp isn't a problem, I just wanted to know if they need more light overnight.

5. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    no, no more light to "see" by. It is only for warmth.

6. ranger4327

ranger4327 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2009
    Northern Maine
    what do you folks use for a thermometer? ive seen them on some pics, what type are they ?

my chicks were supposed to come today, but gotta call saying next week. they are coming in the mail. i hope they all make it !!

cb

7. chickenhick

chickenhick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Virginia
    Believe me....your babies will let you know if the heat isn't right. I have never used a thermometer. If they are cold, they will huddle together under the light and peep loud. If they are hot, they will get as far away from the light as possible and pant. Just monitor their behavior. I use a 75 w regular bulb in a brooder lamp. hope this helps.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by