new chicks and new to chicken keeping- 3 of each?!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by claireabell, Mar 25, 2013.

1. claireabell

claireabell New Egg

Mar 25, 2013
    I have chicks that are 2 week old. I am assuming I have 3 of each, as I have 3 of each colour. No idea of breed or gender!
    Can anyone help? Thanks :)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  2. jnntefend

jnntefend Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2013
    East Texas
    Hi! Welcome to BYC!. Can you help me out? Three of each what?

3. miquwid

miquwid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2013
    Western NY
    My Coop
    Welcome![​IMG]

4. Hotspurious

Hotspurious Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2012
    Cute!

5. jnntefend

Mar 8, 2013
    East Texas
    Oh, ooops. Your stuff wasn't loading on my computer at first. I can't be 100% sure of breed and gender. Are they the same breed, for sure? If so, you have some sort of sex linked hybrid, and, you would be right, three roos and three hens. Other wise, you may have any number of gender, with two different breeds.

6. claireabell

claireabell New Egg

Mar 25, 2013
    They were hatched at the nursery part of where I work. Kids loved watching them. I am told they are same breed. I dont know which are girls and which are boys though!
    Help much appreciated for this novice... very excited novice though!!

7. jnntefend

Mar 8, 2013
    East Texas
    With sex links, the gender will depend on the breed of the mother. In general, the darker ones will be females. It goes like this: If you cross a dark roo with a white hen, you get dark (spotty) females, and white males, which is how it is usually done. I may be wrong about this next part, but I believe that f you do the opposite, and cross a white roo with a dark hen, you get the opposite configuration.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by