1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New chicks and new to chickens!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ZooMummzy, Apr 2, 2008.

1. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    After weeks of research, careful and detailed planning and trips to the feedstore, I finally decided to join the madness and raise chickens [​IMG] I just joined this forum yesterday so I thought this was the perfect time to say hi!

I bought the first 6 of our 8 "girls" today at the local feedstore - 2 Black Sex Links, 1 Rhode Island Red and 3 Buff Orpingtons. I have two more Rhode Island Reds coming in this weekend. We, of course, had to name them....Jasmine, Nina, Annette, Alice, Lottie and Rosalie. We have figured out how to tell who is who with everyone but the Buffs! I have to say after having the little Red, Annette, fall asleep in my hand while petting her...I'm already very addicted and attached [​IMG]

I'm looking forward to learning from all the experience posted on this forum and having lots of fun here and with the "girls".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Cute chickies you have there!
    Welcome to BYC, the fun, informative site
    [​IMG]

3. Joy1

Joy1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Lancashire,England
    Welcome.[​IMG]:

Last edited: Apr 2, 2008
  4. goatkeepers

goatkeepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    Welcome!! [​IMG] I just started with chickens as well with three Rhode Island Reds. [​IMG] ours are two weeks old today! [​IMG] How lucky that yours fell asleep in your hand!! What's your trick? [​IMG]

5. airmom1c05

airmom1c05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    Raymond, Mississippi
    Welcome to BYC! You have a really neat brooder and of course cute chicks!

6. ebaribault

ebaribault Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    Antrim, NH
    Hi ZooMummzy,
    I just got my first chicks 4 weeks ago.I have one word of advice"They grow like crazy"!!!
    Mine outgrew the brooder in about 2 weeks it is the same size as yours. Start looking for their next home or they will be in your bathtub like mine are,but they are very happy.

You will find lots of info here,just don't become addicted like me.
    My wife is already calling me one of those crazy chicken people from BYC.

Good luck with the chicks,
    Ed

7. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Welcome to BYC, and enjoy your chicks. [​IMG]

8. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    Welcome to BYC!! Don't feel bad ebari~ my husband calls me the crazy chicken lady already and I've only had my chicks for 4 days, lol. Everytime we talk it's "Guess what I read on BYC" or "BYC website said to do it this way." Reading this forum is the about the first thing I do in the morning (after fixing a cup of coffee) and the last thing I do at night. I never realized chickens could be so addictive but they are so enjoyable to have.

May you enjoy your babies ZooMum~ and may they grow up and give you bunches and bunches of eggs!!

9. ZooMummzy

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Quote:Thanks for the welcome! I'm not really sure, lol [​IMG] My whole life I have been afraid of chickens so this is all totally new to me. I just picked her up and started stroking her wing and out she went. I think she is going to be the tamest of the bunch. She seems to have that personality already.

10. ZooMummzy

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Quote:Thanks for the advice! When I picked these up yesterday, they had 3 week old chicks in the next tub and they were huge! I have already started thinking ahead....will probably seperate them and use the other half of the dog crate for a while. After that...lol I'll just wing it!

I'm already known as the crazy cat lady so I might as well add crazy chicken lady to that title [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by