1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New chicks and Old hens

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by AnonAMauze, Jan 7, 2013.

1. I'm going to be hatching my first batch of chicks this spring and I've been wondering if I should get a couple of old hens to "ride flock" on them once I take them out of the brooder. Last year I had no troubles adding a half dozen old hens to my small flock of 4-month-olds but I don't know if that would be the same were the case reversed. My only prior experience was with my grandpa hatching chicks, but they had an established flock already and just added the new chicks to the flock. I live in an area where there are lots of predators, and thought that having a few old hens and maybe a rooster would be good protection if they would integrate well. Does anyone have advice on this?

2. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    Well, you can do it but it is recommended that the "chicks" be old enough that they are clucking and not chirping when you do the introductions. We blended two flocks this spring and did fairly well but I think it would have gone even smoother if the babies had been a bit older. I would recommend at least a two week period where they can see but not touch eachother and then some supervised free range together time before you enclose them together.

Hope this helps. Maybe someone with another experience will chime in as well.

3. LeJeune1

LeJeune1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Allen Parish, LA
    Good advice from puddin fluff to let them see each other, maybe through a fence or a pen in the run. I have never had a problem with my chick introductions in my flock of about 45. However, my sister's flock has been aggressive toward chicks. Best to play it safe. Good luck & keep us posted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by