New Chicks and One Hen okay together??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CvitFamily, Sep 27, 2016.

1. CvitFamily

CvitFamily Just Hatched

Sep 26, 2016
    We recently moved and our 3 "girls" have adapted quite well... until yesterday. We have been letting them free range on our 2+ acre property, when someone is home, but yesterday our neighbor stopped by to say she saw a fox walking in her yard with one of our hens [​IMG] My husband found another carcass leaving a single hen unharmed. Needless to say, our family (and neighbors) are heartbroken. [​IMG] We were planning on increasing our flock in the spring, but after yesterday, we are now planning on getting baby chicks within the next week. We purchased a 2' x 3' coop before we moved ( http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/precision-pet-orb-country-classic-coop?cm_vc=-10005 ) as a temporary coop for our 3 girls. We recently built a new, larger coop (4'W x 8'L x 3'H) next to the temporary one and planned on using it for the chicks. My question is, will we be able to integrate the chicks sooner where we only have the one hen? Our surviving lady has always been the most social, but I'm a bit concerned now that she's by herself. Any suggestions or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!!!!!

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

With only one mature hen, you can integrate sooner than normal, but I still wouldn't allow them to physically be together until 7-8 weeks of age. It's ideal to use the "see but don't touch" introduction method for at least a week or two beforehand.

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Agreed - here's the link - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/introducing-new-chickens-using-the-see-but-don-t-touch-method

In my experience, some hens (that have raised chicks before) are extremely accepting of chicks and will act as "aunts" for other broodies - others can't stand the sight of 'em. All chickens are different, so whatever you do, I would advise making decisions based on what you observe, rather than following what is written, to the last word.

4. Cacique500

Cacique500 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2013
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Read up on the look but no touch method. I had a similar situation (minus the fox)...but was left with one mature hen when the 7 new chicks arrived. After three weeks in the brooder they went outside (we had very warm temps this summer). The pic below shows how I segregated the run. Did this for three weeks and after that I let them mingle. Only had a few pecks from the mature hen to let them know who's in charge and it went extremely well.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. Dmontgomery

Dmontgomery Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Apr 1, 2014
    Longville, La
    That's a nice looking setup.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by