New chicks and one with a hurt leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tillyschick, Feb 27, 2017.

1. tillyschick

tillyschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2016
    Hi all! I got 6 new chickens this week. Today one hurt her leg. Just a little limp I'm pretty sure from trying to jump out of the box. Should I serperate her from the other to heal? I know with older chickens they can pick on a hurt one but not sure about baby chicks. Any advice would be great!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would leave her there with the others as long as she is not being trampled. Just make sure that she is getting to food and water. Look at how she stands in case she has a slipped tendon or other leg bone deformity. Typically they stand with one leg turned out to the side or slightly in back. The picture below shows this. They can also develop swelling at the hock or elbow which can become red and crack open. Slight leg injuries can be common though, and hopefully that it is all it is.

[​IMG]
    photo by fuzziecreatures

3. tillyschick

Feb 20, 2016
    Thank you for the reply! She is still eating and drinking. I looked it over real good and didn't notice anything visible wrong. She limps on it get get around and eat and when she stands she looks like a flamingo. She can still Extend it. I've never had a baby chick with a leg injury. Only older hens!

4. tillyschick

Feb 20, 2016
    She does lay down a lot as I'm sure that's easier then standing on one leg.

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Hopefully she will soon get better. If she should get worse, you can Google "chick chairs and slings" for some cute pictures of homemade chairs to keep the chicks upright and able to get food and water while resting their hurt leg.

6. tillyschick

Feb 20, 2016
    I just looked up images. that is brilliant! I think I could make one pretty easily. If she is still struggling tomorrow I will go to the store and grab some Supplies. I only found images, not instruction so should I brace the leg some how with foam or just sitting in the sling should be good enough?

7. tillyschick

Feb 20, 2016
    And thank you so much! That was a great idea

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Some people splint the legs, but I would probably not since it is unclear if she has just sprained it. The splints can be too tight and may restrict her movement.

9. tillyschick

Feb 20, 2016
    Thank you! How long should I leave her in it before I see if it's healing?

10. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If it is a mild sprain she may not need the sling. But if she becomes lame she could use it for times when you can't be there to help her eat and drink. Many of the chairs have an attached food and water container. Some chicks don't like the slings or may jump out of them. She should come out of it several times a day if you use it. But it is only a device if she can' t get around on her own, which would be better for her.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by