New Chicks and Pics! suggestions????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by capeannchickens, May 31, 2010.

1. capeannchickens

capeannchickens New Egg

May 31, 2010
    Just got my order of 25 bantams and 1 mystery chick from McMurray

5 Buff Bramha
    5 Mille Fleur
    5 Black Rose Comb
    5 Quail Antwerp Belgian
    5 Partridge Wyandotte

Brooder is a fish tote with a 100 watt light bulb. Anyone have any suggestions on how far away the light should be. Currently its about 13 inches from the floor of the brooder. I have a therometer probe on the right side wall of the brooder and it is about 5 inches away fromn the center of the light and it reads around 88.7 F. The chicks have found their water and food already and they all arrievd healthy and alive. They seem to be quiet, which is a good sign that they are not cold. And my yellow Lab seems to love them, looks like shes gona have some new friends.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    I am so new to this that I'm sure someone will come along and correct everything I say, but, here's my suggestions.

From what I've read, chicks are supposed to have around 90-95 degree temperatures the first week, then reducing 5 degrees a week til room temperature is met.

Secondly, I've heard that flat newspaper like you have is too slick a surface for chicks, and they could slip and fall. Maybe shred the paper so it's more fluffy and less slippery?

They are so cute!

3. capeannchickens

capeannchickens New Egg

May 31, 2010
    I forgot to mention that i have window screen over the news paper. Thanks

4. blueberrychickens

blueberrychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    Cape Ann?? As in Cape Ann MA??? Love it there!! Oh btw....cute chicks!![​IMG]

5. ScrambledAcresFarm

ScrambledAcresFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    Caulfield, Missouri
    I can tell by the way the chicks are bundling together in the corner that they aren't warm enough. Another thing, center your light so they can't crush each other to death the corner. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  6. capeannchickens

capeannchickens New Egg

May 31, 2010
    Yes capeann MA, i like it here more in the winter cause theres no beach traffic and tourist, lol but you are all welcome to come and enjoy the beauty here. just checked the temp in the middle and its between 98 and 100 F and i moved the light to the middle, good idea. thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by