New chicks and some questions

hyak107

In the Brooder
Jan 31, 2017
My chicks arrived from Ideal Poultry this morning, a couple seem a little tired but they otherwise appear to be in good health. Here's what I ordered:

2 Barred Rock
2 Rhode Island Reds
1 Australorp
3 Dominique

Ideal's FAQ states that they will "add males for warmth," so I wound up with eight females and four males. The males are all yellow without any other coloring. Any idea what breed they might be?

Also, what the heck do I do with the males?
hmm.png
I wasn't really planning on a rooster, but I guess that I could keep one. What should I do with the rest? Is there a market for free roosters?

My chicks arrived from Ideal Poultry this morning, a couple seem a little tired but they otherwise appear to be in good health. Here's what I ordered: 2 Barred Rock 2 Rhode Island Reds 1 Australorp 3 Dominique Ideal's FAQ states that they will "add males for warmth," so I wound up with eight females and four males. The males are all yellow without any other coloring. Any idea what breed they might be? Also, what the heck do I do with the males? :/ I wasn't really planning on a rooster, but I guess that I could keep one. What should I do with the rest? Is there a market for free roosters?
Just put them on Craigslist or something. You could probably find someone in your community who would take them. Also, if you just got them they should be a little tired because of the ride, in a few hours they'll be up and at it. That's how mine were when they arrived.

My chicks arrived from Ideal Poultry this morning, a couple seem a little tired but they otherwise appear to be in good health. Here's what I ordered:

2 Barred Rock
2 Rhode Island Reds
1 Australorp
3 Dominique

Ideal's FAQ states that they will "add males for warmth," so I wound up with eight females and four males. The males are all yellow without any other coloring. Any idea what breed they might be?

Also, what the heck do I do with the males?
hmm.png
I wasn't really planning on a rooster, but I guess that I could keep one. What should I do with the rest? Is there a market for free roosters?

The males could be a number of breeds. Buff Orpington, Buff Plymouth Rock, maybe even Leghorn.

If possible in your area, you could keep as many as you and the females can handle. Sometimes the males will not all get along, and that can impact the harmony in the whole flock. If you'd like to sell a couple of the roos, you can list them on the "Buy, Sell, Trade" section of the forum here (once you get enough posts). You might also want to check in with your state's thread in "Where Am I? Where Are You?" here and see if any of the people on there would be interested.

Also, just watch the chicks that you mentioned seem tired. After a long trip like that, they're probably exhausted, but it never hurts to keep an eye out.

Thanks for all the help, I've been checking on the chicks frequently and they seem to be over the shock of transport and are much more active. It's going to be a while before I can tell the Barred Rock and Dominique chicks apart, they look exactly the same. The Australorp is a big girl compared to the chicks.

I miscounted the males, there are five in total. I'm thinking that I'll keep one and put the rest on craigslist.

I really do appreciate the quick replies and help, I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions and time goes on, and hopefully I can one day return the favor.

Could be male sexlinks, too. They just toss whatever in but make the effort to use something that looks different from the others you ordered, at least. On your Rocks & Dominiques, look at the comb. The rocks have a single row of points like a saw blade. The Dom's have a flat shield-like shape.

Back
Top Bottom