New Chicks and Teenage Chicks :D

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by chicken mamma, Apr 26, 2008.

1. chicken mamma

chicken mamma Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2008
    North Texas
    Hey Guys, I'm a little new BYC and this might just be my first post, I can't remember. I've been sitting on this computer all morning looking up baby chick pictures. I have about 30 coming in on Monday and I'm not so patiently waiting until then. We ordered some from MM back in march, apparently when everyone else was having problems with there chicks dieing off. We lost 11 out of 26. I will so though, out of any customer service I have ever worked with MM was the best, I was very impressed with the way they helped us along. But anyway. My fiance decided after I recieved my red stars,buff cochin bantams, and my feather footed buff brahmas, that he would then order his own. 3 each of 10 different kinds that is. So we are excited to see the variety, he doesn't know the breeds. He just knows that this many will be to eat, this many looked cool, and this many lay big eggs. I on the other hand did mountains of research....silly boys. We recently had a hail storm, all my girls did well and sought out shelter in there coop, my two roos, (two of the four buff cochins) had a harder time just staying inside, both kept sticking there heads out checking out what in the world all that noise was. Will Andy's batch coming in monday we've prepared the brooder pen and the light and the feeders. But we are both worried about introducing them into the "my flock" when the time comes. Many of Andy's chicks will be meat birds, he says he ordered some "Tyson Chicken" so I can assume he got himself some cornish rocks. So out of the 30 (and not counting any loss we may have) I would say will have maybe 10-15 actually be introduced to the flock on a more full time basis. Does anyone have any handy tips on how to go about this delicately? [​IMG][​IMG]

2. PennyinOK

PennyinOK Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2008
    Se Oklahoma
    Not sure how you would go about intoducing them. I hope you have a large pen! Mine run around all day and I pen them for the night and get up early to let them out so I haven't had any problem with the different ages of my chicks. Congratulations on your new chicks and welcome to BYC.
    Penny

3. chicken mamma

Mar 19, 2008
    North Texas
    Its a pretty good size pen, we devoted just about half of our modest 1/4 acre to there play ground. I think eventually we will allow them to roam free, but I worry about predators and our two dogs.

4. PennyinOK

Mar 29, 2008
    Se Oklahoma
    I have two dogs also but they are chihuahuas so the chickens are bigger than they are in a short time. You might want to keep an eye on the dogs and chickens until they become used to eachother. Do your dogs pay any attention to the chickens in the pen? If not that may be agood sign they will get along just keep your eye on them.

Penny

5. chicken mamma

Mar 19, 2008
    North Texas
    HAHAHA do the dogs pay attention to the chicks?! They sit at the door, of the coop, which is the only part that you can see thru top to bottom, the rest of the coop has 4 foot wood panels buried two feet deep going all around it, the door to the chicken yard is comprised of a frame and chicken wire, so thats where ben (a black lab/chow mix) and his boss jordan (a nonsense) sit. Jordan has been around the chicks since they first arrived, so he knows the drill, ben is our newest member to the house so he is curious. Anyway, they stand at the door and watch all the goings on all while licking there lips, while the chickens stand on the other side cocking there head to the side at the dogs, like what the heck are you. Ben likes to bring them pine cones and eat them at the front door while the chicks watch. [​IMG] I wish I had dogs that wanted to protect them and not eat them. Over the summer we will be building our outside kennel, and then I will be able to let my girls free range. [​IMG] We haven't had any trouble with the dogs (the boys) trying to get into the coop, I am fortunate that they have caught on, you don't go to the chicken yard without mom. My cats on the other hand are scared to death of the chickens [​IMG]:eek: . What have I brought to the house and when is it going to kill me, thats the look I get from the cats, they hate them. If they're outside walking around the yard with me and I turn to the chicken pen, they run back to the back door and stay there until I come let them in. Of course these are the same cats that would just as soon sleep with the mice in the shed then try to kill them. I live with a strange and spoiled bunch.
    New chicks will be here tomorrow morning. And I'm praying they call me a day early, that just maybe they showed up, I am terribly impatient.[​IMG]

6. PennyinOK

Mar 29, 2008
    Se Oklahoma
    New chick day! [​IMG] Have they arrived? Let me know how they are doing.
    Your cats sound interesting my cats like to bring me "presents" which I could do without. They have respect for the chickens they know if they even look that way they will hear a "no". Have not had trouble with them yet but I keep a pretty good eye on them and keep them well fed. [​IMG]

Penny

7. chicken mamma

Mar 19, 2008
    North Texas
    No sign of baby chicks yet, and the post office wont answer. My nephew just got here though, so we're waiting it out together.

8. PennyinOK

Mar 29, 2008
    Se Oklahoma
    I will keep my fingers crossed [​IMG] Maybe they will get there soon.

penny

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by