New chicks and the existing flock

FatherofChickens

Chirping
Dec 20, 2019
Mississippi
Hey

So I picked up six new little chickies from the farm store. They are so cute and fuzzy. I have them in a big metal water trough, my brooder, that's on the floor of my existing chicken coop. Heat lamp, pine shavings, food and water - they are happy right now.

My existing adult flock consists of only three chickens. Friendly "Lil Blackie" who is a personable rooster. Then there's Butter and Biscuit, two hens. They are all about a year old, raised from chicks last year.

My question - I'm a little bit concerned about introducing the new chicks to the flock in a few weeks. They are all in the coop together at night and so far its been fine, but the chicks are literally in a metal trough with a wire cage over the top. Little Blackie perched on there the first morning and was eyeballing the chicks in a friendly way, but Butter and Biscuit... I'm a little bit worried about how they'll treat the chicks.

When I introduced three other hens to the flock last summer, there was pandemonium. Butter and Biscuit terrorized them, chasing and pecking them around the outdoor run. Also, Lil Blackie and his now deceased brother, Big Specky, were a bit rambunctious and had their way with the new hens right off the bat. Things did settle down after a few days but I had to keep the new hens separated for a bit.

Any advice on how to best introduce the new chicks? I don't want them to have a hard time. If Lil' Blackie, Butter and Biscuit get rambunctious with the chicks, they could get hurt!

Also, another question - Lil Blackie has recently had a swarm of gnats around him. I've read vanilla can help. Do I just dilute it in a spray bottle and mist him with it?

Better if they were in a wire enclosure, for better visibility for all the birds...
....with tiny doors, for when the time comes.
Here's how I, and a couple others(links), do it:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/integrating-new-birds-at-4-weeks-old.72603/

I would not spray vanilla directly on a bird.
Maybe spray on blotter paper, or something like that, and place them around...especially near windows or other 'bug entrances'.

Seems early for gnats.....
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1584629900260.png

Back
Top Bottom