1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Chicks and their Mum

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mave, Jan 22, 2011.

1. mave

mave New Egg

Jan 15, 2011
    Christchurch
    We collected a gorgeous Bantam Cross and her six 4 day old chicks today - three of which are Buff Orpington and three of which are unknown Bantam-something crosses. She has a nice coop away from our other hens with a dry nest box, grass, water, chick feed and pellets. Is there anything else we should do, or should we just let her get on with mothering? Also, as the Orpingtons are going to be much bigger than her (she was given the eggs to sit on, none of them are hers), how long do we leave them together in the same small coop?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    Cute! Congrats [​IMG]

3. L*A*G*

L*A*G* Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    planet chicken
    congrats [​IMG] what is she?

4. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Sweet! Makes me want my new baby chicks today!!

5. Country Heart

Country Heart City Girl With A

Great photos! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

My broody stayed with her chicks until they were a good 8 weeks old. It was almost humorous at that point - large chicks trying to fit under a small mama. Luck for her there were only three. Eventually, she decided they were graduates and it was time for her to go back to roosting with the big girls. Just watch mama, she'll let you know when the time is right. [​IMG]

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Good on ya!!

They all look fabulous!

7. justtoni44

justtoni44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    oregon
    she is beautiful........[​IMG]
    I agree, she will decide when the time is right.
    The size will be ok.................
    Some hens raise ducks [​IMG]

8. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Very cute!! [​IMG]

Mine are 4 weeks this weekend!! [​IMG] What exactly does the mama start doing to give you signs she's ready to part with the chicks???

9. mave

mave New Egg

Jan 15, 2011
    Christchurch
    [​IMG] She is very cute isn't she? (and thanks for all the advice, btw). Her name is Rosie and the guy I bought her from just said she is a bantam, he wasn't really sure what type. He has now texted me to say that her sister, Ruby, (and apparently just as beautiful) is sitting on a clutch of 6 Leghorns due to hatch on Wednesday and would I like another set?? [​IMG]

Well, I would LOVE them, but we have now got 15 chickens and I think my long suffering other half may just draw the line at any more!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by