New chicks! Aracauna Golden Comet X

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by logansmommy7, Jun 19, 2009.

1. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 Songster

May 15, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley
    Got six chicks today, we think they are all pullets (will post pics later) but they are a Golden Comet/Aracauna Cross. Do you think the blue/green egg laying will dominate? They have green legs like the Aracaunas...

I'm hoping for the best for them, they are at least 6 weeks old, and fully feathered. We also got a bonus cockerel chick who I'm not sure of the breed, he is black and white with blue legs. The lady said he may be part polish-but I'll post a pic in a while and see what everyone thinks.

2. lindabean

lindabean Songster

May 3, 2009
    Texas Hill Country
    Sounds like you have the hard part behind you and they are ready to be out from under the heat lamp and in the chicken run. I bought 5 older pullets ( from 10 weeks to 6 months old) so I could start having a few eggs right away. The 3 biggest ones have been really working overtime. We get 2 or 3 eggs almost every day. I also have 8 babies from the feed store that are about 3.5 weeks old. I'm going to put them out in the run in an X-pen of their own this weekend. After the big girls have gotten accustomed to the little ones, they will all be together. I may need to expand the hen house, though. As warm as it is here, half the house is hardware cloth & half is an enclosed nesting house with just 3 nests inside. So far the 3 that are laying all lay in the same nest. I check it several times a day (I'm still new to this and just love to go sit in the run with them and visit). My hubby has commented he is surprised at how much he enjoys finding the eggs and eating them too. Since we agreed to keep them in a pen so their little "bombs" would not be under foot everywhere, we enjoy them much more than ones I had before we were married. Those had the run of the yard & neighborhood and did quite well, but Wiley didn't like having to watch where he stepped.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: