New chicks are dying! Please help!

MuDdYcReEk1338

In the Brooder
Jun 25, 2019
We bought 21 chicks of all different breeds and they arrived 4 days ago. One looks unhealthy upon arrival and died the same day despite my best efforts. This chick was lethargic, wouldn’t stand and would fall back on bottom, would open mouth to chirp but no sound would come out, I fed her sugar water drops with a syringe and she would strangely gurgle then back up. She eventually fell over on her side and wouldn’t get back up. Very labored breathing followed until she died. I checked the rest of them and they were all healthy, strong, and lively. Next day, another one down. Follows exact same symptoms and dies. Next day the rest are fine and healthy. So I chalked it up to a rough trip and decided 2 dead out of 21 wasn’t that bad. Today wake up and another one is down. Same symptoms except this one seems to have a paralyzed leg. Won’t use it to walk, won’t retract it in if I touch it with my finger like the other leg. Now the labored breathing has begun. Does it sound like this is a disease or just some strange coincidence?

At this age it must be shipping stress or rough handling. How long were they in transit from the hatchery? Can you get some Poultry NutriDrench right away, and dip each beak in the electrolyte/vitamin mixture. In the meantime, make sure everyone is eating and drinking. Do you have them under a heat lamp or another source of heat? Have you noticed any that have had pasty butt or checked for it? I am very sorry for your loss, and hope that you don’t lose any others.

Do you know if tractor supply sells the nutridench? They’re closed now but I can get some in the morning. The chicks were in transit for 2 days. I have them in a large stock tank with pine shavings, a large feeder and water with electrolytes mixed in. I also have a heat lamp set up and a thermometer monitoring the temp under it. The rest are perfectly fine. No pasty butt, no issues at all. I’m relieved to hear that it might be from the trip and not an epidemic. Thank you for replying!

I agree with Eggcessive, nutri-drench them. I got chicks from Hatchery, bought from as close possible for short shipping time. Lost one of mine a week after they arrived. I recently purchased 6 Silkie babies, drove almost an hour to get them, started them on nutri-drench soon as I got them home. They are so far healthy and happy. Best of luck with the rest of your babies.

The third one has died. We are so sad. Hopefully the rest of the flock stay strong and continue to recover from the shipping process. Thank y’all for your responses and advice on the nutridench. I will be getting some first thing in the morning and will continue to monitor these babies closely!

Sorry that you lost another. TSC and most feedstores sell both Poultry NutriDrench and Poultry Cell—either one is good and dosage is 1 ml per every 3 pounds. Give a couple of drops each and then get them drinking water. Pedialyte or Gatorade can help until you get the PND. You may want to notify the hatchery to see if they are having other complaints of deaths.

Back
Top Bottom