New chicks are here!!!! Need help please.....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Little_Rooster66, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Little_Rooster66

Little_Rooster66 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2011
    Northwest Kansas
    Our order of chicks just got here today [​IMG] but one seems to be on the brink, hes not standing or eating or drinking, or even has his eyes open for that matter. Is there anything that can be done to maybe help?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    It is quite possible nothing you do will help. Some just won't make it, not matter what you do.

I suggest taking an eye dropper and giving it some sugar water. If you have it, that hummingbird liquid works great, but justy dissolving some sugar in water will work OK. The idea is get something inside the chick that gives it enough energy to want to get up and eat and drink on its own. I just put a drop or so just inside the beak but at the tip so I don't drown it. Hopefully the chick will try to swallow it on its own.

Also, make sure you keep it warm. Not super hot, just regular (90 to 95 degree Fahrenheit) brooder temperature.

Good luck!

3. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    Good advice!

4. Little_Rooster66

Jan 21, 2011
    Northwest Kansas
    Thanks so much for the good advice it seem to be doing better, its standing and looking around, but hasn't walked or ate anything yet so we will see.

Thanks a lot again!

5. magoochie

magoochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2010
    Grantsburg, WI
    I have a couple that are doing the same thing. Hopefully they will make it. They have both drank some water, but i have not seen them eat. I am sure they have been stressed out for a couple days too during the shipping process and need some sleep. Hopefully they will get up and be more active in the next couple hours.

6. moderndayhippy

moderndayhippy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2010
    I'm so glad that I read this for future just in case reference. Thanks!

7. Little_Rooster66

Jan 21, 2011
    Northwest Kansas
    now hes starting to eat and walk around on his own [​IMG] Awesome advice.

8. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    You could also try offering some mashed up hard boiled egg yolk, just a little bit, and peck at it with your finger so the little guy gets the idea. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by