New Chicks Arrived! But one is pecking the others really bad!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by onemotherslove, Jan 8, 2010.

1. onemotherslove

onemotherslove Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2009
    North Central Texas
    Ideal shipped my 27 chicks early! Yea... except I wasn't ready! (I was expecting them in February) I picked them up from the PO this morning, on the coldest day here in TX than I ever remember (wind chill was 3 this morning - that's unheard of here). I've been looking for a brooder lamp for 3 days, but everyone is sold out. So I have them in a rubbermaid tub with a bedroom lamp leaning over the side. Already thought 3 of them were about to die of cold... but none yet.

Then I noticed that one in particular (he's darker red than the others - It's a mix, so I don't even know what they all are) he's pecking on the beaks of the other chicks. I mean pecking and holding on & twisting. One little black one is now bleeding.

I took the meanie out & put him in a little cardboard box. But I don't have another light for him. What should I do? What should I do about the one that's bleeding?

This is my first shipment of chicks. : (

2. BigSkyChickens

BigSkyChickens Free Bird

Apr 3, 2009
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    I would fereak out if my chicks came early! [​IMG]
    Do you have a hot water bottle, or one of those hand-warmer thingies? Hand-warmers are often available at the drugstore or the hardware store.
    Or maybe you can put him in your pocket....HAHA, I've heard of someone doing that in an emergency.
    Good luck.....

3. littlekit

littlekit Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    Whatever you have that will keep them warm is good until you can get a brooder lamp. Any bulb lamp will work, do you have a thermometer?

4. clkingtx

clkingtx Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2009
    I am in North Texas. It was really hard for us to find the brooder bulbs here, we finally went to Lowes, and they had them. TSC, or Atwoods, or berend brothers, or even walmart should have the brooder reflector fixture thing. We got one of ours at Walmart, and the others at Atwoods, but saw them at berend brothers, TSC, and Lowes.
    Hope that helps.

Carrie

5. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    What is the long-term plan? Since chicks are social creatures, raising him/her alone forever probably isn't a good idea. Is the idea to get it back with the others soon? If not, I'd probably consider culling this one. I know that sounds heartless but if you can't raise it with the others and you can't keep it alone forever, what other option is there?

6. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    I would cull a chick that is already showing that much aggression.

Just my own opinion.

Do you have a thermometer in the box you are using? Is there any way you can reduce the light, perhaps by using a regular red light bulb in the lamp? As you know, it is so important to have all your supplies together for very small chicks. Too bad about the early shipping. Stressors like inadequate food, water, temperature, and space can all contribute to illness, death, cannibalism, etc.

Instances like this are among the most important reasons why I am no longer brooding in the cold months. Too stressful for me!

Good luck -

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  7. onemotherslove

onemotherslove Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2009
    North Central Texas
    I had him out of the main tub for a while, then he started getting cold so I put him back in. He huddled under the lamp & I haven't seen him pecking again... I'll keep an eye on him & if he starts up again, he's gone.

I checked all the stores in one town yesterday - Walmart, feed stores, supply stores, home improvement stores - everybody was out of brooder lamps & heat bulbs. Today I started calling around other towns the other direction... same thing. Finally sound a Lowe's that was out of brooder lamps, but they had a smaller clamp lamp. They held it for me until I could get there. But they, too were out of heat bulbs. All stores I called said there'd been a run on heat lamps, heaters, anything that creates warmth! We're not used to this cold!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  8. reedyfork

reedyfork Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    Have you checked the pet stores? I have my five chicks inside the house, and didn't need a large 250 W heat bulb, so I got a smaller 100 W red heat bulb w/ smaller size reflector (?) from the local pet store. It's made for reptiles.

Good luck!

Ron

9. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I made a small box out of wire, just big enough for the chick, to isolate her for a couple of hours. That way she could stay in the brooder with the others. Sometimes being isolated like that will break them of the habit. I'd keep an eye on the one that was bleeding too. Sometimes the others will attack one that is injured and kill it.

How are the others acting? If they are huddling together they are too cold. If they are trying to get as far from whatever heat source you have, they are too hot. You probably already know this.

I found that my 28 were pretty tough and preferred temperatures a little below the recommended temperatures. They would all still sleep in a pile though and often right under the lamp. I just warmed one corner and let the rest of the brooder be a little cooler then let them find their confort zone.

Good luck on finding supplies.

10. LeghornLisa

LeghornLisa Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    If they are under a red light they won't see the blood and canabalize the bleeding chick. Liquid band aid works great to stop the bleeding and protect against infection...not sure about using it on a beak but it works great on their combs, just don't get it in their eyes.

I hope things settle down for you so you can enjoy your chicks and they can live in harmony

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by