New chicks arrived, Older hen died, even with Quarantine

peace7673

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 6, 2014
Vermont
I purchased two Buff Orpington's last year from McMurray Hatchery. They were healthy and started laying several months later as normal. Upon their year of age I decided to get two more chicken's (4 week old Black Australorps). I was aware of quarantine and kept them at first in a large dog crate and then moved them into a new coop next to the old one outside (with my two year old Orpingtons) after a week. I still planned to keep them separate for at least 4 weeks. I thought that as long as they did not have contact and where at least 5 feet apart that they could not spread anything. One morning I came to check for eggs and let out the older girls and my one (best layer Marigold) had died in the nesting box.
hit.gif
I was shocked and saddened by this as her sister Petunia was alive and seemed fine. I did a ton of research about the possible cause and learned that keeping them separated but still within close air space might have still caused a contamination. I have waited 4 days now to see if Petunia would die to and that this would confirm a contamination was the result of Marigold's death. Any thoughts on this? Many forums said it is possible if could have been an egg stroke or just a fluke death.

Thanks for your advice,

I sincerely doubt she died from anything she caught from the new chicks. Most likely a heart condition or some kind of egg bound issue. It's not uncommon. Sorry for your loss.

Last edited:
Thanks High street Coop, Petunia is still alive too so odds are looking against a contamination!
Thanks for your help!!

Best of luck with your remaining girls. I know we all live in fear of those mystery deaths. If you really want to know why a bird died, you have to send them in for a necropsy. I'm not sure where you are, but most states have a lab that will do one for free or for a very reasonable cost. Lots of info here on the forum about how to send a bird in.

Be sure to check for mites. I have the North Eastern mite that attacks my girls. I am on guard because the mites will take a chicken down and has one of mine.

Back
Top Bottom