New Chicks Arrived... Plus Surprise!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Reyvaughn, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Reyvaughn

Reyvaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    My friend and I went together on a chick order from Privett to help save on shipping. I ordered 10 Blue Laced Red Wyandottes, 10 Blue Wyandottes and 5 Delawares. My friend ordered 5 Golden Lakenvelders and 5 Light Brahmas. Our order was placed in early April!

The chicks finally arrived today! I was a little concerned about them being shipped during this heat wave, but the heat didn't seem to bother them. All but one made it here, my friend's Lakenvelder got squished during shipping. Privett shipped an extra Delaware, so I gave her the extra in place of her Lakenvelder. All the chicks drank and seemed fine (a few needed to be shown the water again in a couple of hours).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And...
    I noticed that one of my Amberlinks was acting weird today. She was roosting beside me, letting me pet and hold her - totally not the norm for these girls (I have 3 Amberlinks). She went into the 2x2' section of the brooder and was digging around and was still in there when I left the hen shed. After running my husband to work, I came home to do chores and guess what I found in the 2x2' section of the brooder?

[​IMG]

Yep! Our first egg! I don't have a scale, but I am guessing it's an extra large. I'll be eating it tomorrow morning!
    What an exciting and wonderful day!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  2. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

awww look at the cute fuzzballs!! They are adorable! Can I ask something though-why is your water bright green?

3. Reyvaughn

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    It's actually yellow. I put electrolytes and vitamins in it for their arrival. [​IMG]

4. CartierChicken

CartierChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I'm guessing that egg is a double yoker:D My hens are young, so they are still laying double yokers. I was told that young hens do this until their reproductive system is established.

5. Reyvaughn

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    Oh, that would be cool! I haven't had a double yolker since I was a kid.
    I'll find out sometime today. I don't have time for breakfast... as is the norm!

6. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    Wow! What a great day. New chicks AND a first egg! It doesn't get better than that-thanks for sharing! [​IMG]

7. valmoisy

valmoisy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    The chicks are so cute!

8. crossgirl

crossgirl Day Dream Believer

Mar 15, 2011
    Lakeland, FL
    Congratulations! The egg is fabulous and the chicks are adorable. Are the red marks to tell the breeds apart?

9. Reyvaughn

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    They marked the pullets on the Blues, but I didn't see any marks on the BLRWs. There is a blue speck on one of them, but I don't see any on the others. It also looks like I actually have 4 or 5 black Wyandottes!

The day did get a hair better! I didn't get a speeding ticket doing 70 in a 55!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by