New chicks arrived this afternoon! :D a few questions, and [PICS!]

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CammieSilkie, Aug 3, 2010.

1. CammieSilkie

CammieSilkie In the Brooder

Jul 29, 2010
    Massachusetts
    well, its 10 PM here now, but my bantam silkies arrived today in the mail! (I'm 13, so I'm SUPER exited.) My older sister drove me to the post office, and RIGHT when i got in the car, i opened up the box and there she was: SPARKLES! we ordered 8 bantam silkies in the mail. 2 black, 2 white, 2 partridge, and 2 buff. all were 100% happy and healthy, no one was dehydrated dying or cold, plus no one has any blocked vents [​IMG] I looked in the box and fell in love with one SUPER TINY SUPER ADORABLE little wittle black silkie chick. she thinks I'm mom and follows me [​IMG] i also fell in love with 2 others, Nuggets(a tiny runty buff one), and Burta(a jumpy little partridge)! all 3 follow me, but i love sparkles the most. a few questions: since they aren't vaccinated, is all i have to do is make sure to give them medicated feed? should i do something else?? also, would a garter snake eat/harm my chicks??? i think i just MIGHT have one in my basement ;( and it could get into the brooder if it tried. plus one more thing: i was told roosters were rarer than hens, and only 1/4 of the chicks would be roosters if i got straight run. well, i wouldn't mind a rooster or two, so hearing this i figured we wouldn't pay extra money for females. so... if that isn't true, are like.. HALF my chicks gonna be roosters??? i think i spy 2 roosters, but they are 2 days old so i cant really tell. please help me with my questions :) and here are the chicks!!!

this is SPARKLES!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this is nugget. she is part of my three-chick clan [​IMG] shes the smallest.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this is Burta. she is the third of my three-chick clan!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

here are the rest. they all have names!

the chicks& brooder
    [​IMG]

all the little boogers!
    [​IMG]

this little fluffy gurl posing by the feeder is Shellie :) frank in the back, Burta to the left
    [​IMG]

Erika's butt?
    [​IMG]

the three chick clan!
    [​IMG]

I have LOADS more pics and i will keep you updated! erm.. i would have put more but there's too many already!

2. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

[​IMG] for chickens!!!!!!!!!!

AWESOME!!!! [​IMG] I'm around your age, 14 (nearly!) and just got into chickens this spring. Silkies are great, hilarious looking SUPER fluffly funny birds. Take a look at my silkies: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=380032

Edit:

YES
    DON"T LET SNAKE WITH cHICKS!!!!

silkies are super hard to sex, even with vent sexing it is hard to tell 'cause of their black skin. so wait till they start crowing. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  3. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays

Glad your chicks arrived safe and happy.

Straight run is as-hatched, in a order of 100 chicks supposed to be 50/50 or about half cockrels & half pullets. In my experiance the smaller the order the more often those numbers are off.

Good luck!
    Terry

4. CammieSilkie

CammieSilkie In the Brooder

Jul 29, 2010
    Massachusetts
    well, two chicks, a black and a white, are a lot bigger than the others. they boss around the other chicks, and they have big feather tuffs on their heads. they act like little roosters!!!

5. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Songster

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    hii! Congrats on your chickies!

Don't take the chance with the snake. EVEN IF there is no snake in the basement after all, bring your chicks upstairs right away.

6. Kyhen

Kyhen Chirping

Jul 29, 2010
    Hart Co., Ky
    [​IMG] Very cute.

7. Iheartchicks<3:)

Iheartchicks<3:) Songster

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Yay im 13 toooo!

8. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Songster