New chicks arriving 7-10 days apart--okay to brood together?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mcstewartchick, Feb 17, 2017.

1. mcstewartchick

mcstewartchick Just Hatched

Hello BYC!
    I've been avidly reading, but this is my very first post :)

I'm finally getting new chicks this spring, and I'm planning my brooder. I'm getting chicks from the local feed store, and while I can get most of the breeds I want on the same weekend, I'd like to add a few chicks to the flock the next weekend too when they get a different breed. I know chicks grow fast, but since I am a chicken rookie, here is my question...Will I be able to put the babies in with the week-olds right away? Or will they be picked on/need to be separated at first? Give me your best recommendation!

(Just in case it matters, the breeds coming home week 1 are Barred Rocks, RIR, BO, Ameracaunas. Week 2, silver laced and gold laced wyandottes)

2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    I keep my chicks together and they a week old and 1 day old and have not had any issues. I would not put them together if they were 2 week apart in age though.

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I've done a 10 day spread without issues. B/C there was such a size difference, I put a divider, and rotated some of the older chicks in with the little ones, 1 - 2 at a time, and then, after observing all of the older ones interacting with the younger, I pulled the divider. Last year, I did a 21 day spread, again, keeping a divider until the little ones were stronger... about a week, then pulled the divider. If they have plenty of room, you should be fine. I like to start out with 1 s.f./chick and increase to 2 or more s.f./chick by 3 weeks old.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    This^^^^

5. mcstewartchick

mcstewartchick Just Hatched

Thanks for the advice everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by