New chicks arriving next week in the mail!! Any advise?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chick_In_The_Burbs, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    Hi everyone! Well, I'm getting 3 EE chicks sometime around the 6th(Thanks MPC!!). I can't wait!! [​IMG] I've never had chickens before so all I know is what I've been able to google and what I've found on forums like this. I have everything I need for once I get them home, but I'm not sure if they'll need any special care when I pick them up. I'll be picking them up at the Post Office and it's about a two hour drive back to my house so anything immediate I would have to prep and bring with me. I already know about pasting up (packing a water bottle and paper towels), but anything else? Or something that's just good-to-know/have that I may not have found on the standard list?
  2. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

Good for you! You've probably read this already but I was advised to put vitamins in the water and my 5 chicks are now 5 weeks old and healthy. Of course you know "dip their beaks". Enjoy!
  3. JLS

JLS Love my feathered babies!

May 29, 2009
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Dont worry too much and enjoy the new adventure. Be for warned: you'll become an addict in no time flat. It sounds like you've done your homework. Have fun!!
  4. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Make sure that you contact your post office before they arrive and ask them to call you when they do arrive.

Make sure you have the brooder ready and the heat lamp operating a good 24 hours ahead of time.

Make sure to keep us posted! [​IMG]
  5. viktoriacl

viktoriacl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    I got 4 EEs from MPC 4 weeks ago. They were all happy and healthy! The postoffice called me right away I could hear them cheeping but could not get anyones attention because they werent open yet for the day! I was like "My babies need me! Let me in!" Too funny! They were pretty loud on the way home. I wasnt sure if they were chilly or scared but they did just fine. They ate and drank right away. Enjoys the tiny phase. It doesnt last long. Mine are probably 8 inches tall now and are all feathered out!
  6. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    Thanks everyone! I'm trying to find vitamin packs now and the brooder is already half set up. I just need to lay down the paper towels and put the feed/water/lamp in. I'll make sure and post again w/ pics when I get my new fluff balls in. [​IMG] Victoriacl- I'm glad to hear your EEs are doing so well! I can't wait to find out what colors my little gals will be! And I'm going to be on pins and needles until I find out what egg colors they lay. I already called the post office to find out when their shipments usually arrive; so I'll be standing outside the door waiting on the 6th. [​IMG] I'll start another post when I get them in; hopefully with pictures. [​IMG]

My family still thinks I'm nuts btw. My mom starts laughing at me whenever I bring it up. And my sis keeps talking about getting chased and pecked by her dad's Leghorn roo (before my existance, so I don't know how bad it was; but by discription they -both my sisters- called him the Devil Bird). I keep telling her EE's are suppost to be nice I'd I'm only getting hens but... Ah, well. Hopefully she'll come over to visit next Easter and overcome her phobia.
  7. chickp

chickp Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2010
    Good luck! You will LOVE them. Mine are two weeks old now and I got four from MPC. They arrived cheeping and hungry and it has been so much fun. The temp thing is the biggest concern, and now in the past couple days they have started to EAT like crazy! Have fun, there is lots of good info on this site as you go.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by