New Chicks Arriving on Thursday

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickenlover171, Feb 18, 2013.

1. chickenlover171

chickenlover171 New Egg

Feb 7, 2013
    Hi everybody! :) I am getting my first batch of chicks on thursday. I have been working with them for 7 years but am new to raising them from day old chicks. I have their brooder set up already but i was wondering if there are any specifications that i didn't know about. I am getting 11 chicks and was told to keep the brooder at 90 degrees for the first week. Is the true? Also is there any supplements that need to be given to them to help their growth? Thanks for all your help.

2. Angiebubs

Angiebubs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    Congrats! Regarding temps: Rule of thumb is to have a thermometer at the height of the chickens and temp should be 95-decrease temp by 5 degree each week. The biggest controversy is on whether to feed medicated or non medicated feed. Other than that and water-keeping the brooder as clean as possible and thats it!!! Good luck!

3. ocap

ocap Overrun With Chickens

Jan 1, 2013
    Smithville, Missouri
    I make a large hoop (oval) of wire and have my heat lamps (2) at one end. The chicks can get away from the 95 degrees if they want, the other end of the hoop is 70 degrees

4. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    90-95 is the guideline most people use. Then decrease by 5 every week. But what works for me is just watching them If their all under the lamp too cold. All far away from the lamp too hot. If they are scattered around eatin and scratching its just right. Sounds simple but it works. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by