new chicks breed question

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by tigercreek, Jan 1, 2011.

1. tigercreek

tigercreek Chillin' With My Peeps

I plan to order a mix of breeds as day old chicks. Any idea as to when I will be able to tell which chick is which breed?? thanks ......stan

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  2. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    If you only want girls and are ordering then just order pullets. This way you have about a 90% chance of having all pullets. It isn't much more cost wise. Unless they're bantams and usually you don't get the option to buy them sexed or it would cost more than the chick itself.
    But straight run just depends on the breed or the individual itself. Some males you can tell by one month... Like barred rock you can tell at day one but Easter Eggers and Ameraucana alot of times you can't tell till they are 5-6 months or they crow. On average though I would say you can tell the difference in most at around 8-10 weeks.

3. tigercreek

Thanks for the quick reply, I have edited my post to more clearly ask how old they will need to be before a rookie like me can tell which chick is which breed. I will be ordering pullets. thanks ....stan

4. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    you mean to tell the breeds apart? It depends on the breeds included. Some chicks look very different, some breeds look alike as chicks. It can be very difficult with some until they are feathered out. I understand The Warden still has an icelandic running around with here delawares.

5. tigercreek

Thanks, yes I mean tell the breeds apart. Will I know a BR from a BA?? will they be feathered out at 6 weeks, 8 weeks??? thanks ....stan

6. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    Oops, haha! I write slow... Post pics when you get them... We love to guess on breeds! Some are easy to ID, but I agree there are
    Some breeds that look alike as chicks.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    If you go to a hatchery site like McMurray, they usually have a picture or description of what the baby chicks look like. That should give you a good start. And it kinda depends on what breeds you order. A Buff Orp will be easy to tell from a barred rock, for instance. You should be pretty sure by about six weeks, if memory serves. Course, it doesn't, more often than not [​IMG]

Have fun with your new hens!

8. tigercreek

I think I remember about how the memory thing works! Well, maybe! My problem is that I want to split an order from Mcmurray with another person. We are going to get black lorps, slw, and columbian wyandottes, and she wants barred rocks also. I'm not sure i will be able to pick out the rocks untill they feather, or sort the slw from the lorps? ........stan

9. grammypam

grammypam Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2010
    Oronoco,Minnesota
    Ask McMurray to mark your chicks that you are ordering. Then you can tell who's chick is who's. I have heard that they will do that.

10. tigercreek

Thanks Grammypam! Never thought that they would take that kind of time. Will do. ..........stan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by