New Chicks Cant Stand Up? HELP!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by KadeSilkies21, Dec 4, 2017.

1. KadeSilkies21

KadeSilkies21 In the Brooder

Jul 13, 2017
    4 of our new chicks hatched yesterday and 1 of them looks fine but the rest don't! The first chicks is fine and going well but the other 3 are laying down, with their eyes closed and scrambling to try and stand up? The chicks feet go sideways while he is on his belly. I am using an infrared heat lamp in a cardboard box. They do have food and water. Only the good chick is eating and drinking. I have dipped their beaks in water but they dont seem to get it. Please help I am getting very worried about them.

2. KadeSilkies21

Jul 13, 2017
    Somebody please help us we are very worried!

chickens really likes this.
  3. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Crowing

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    I think your most likely culprit is a lack of essential vitamins. Merck poultry vitamins. You can buy supplements at most local feed stores (including Walmart) and at pet stores that sell birds. Get low-iron supplements, and feed as soon as possible.

EDT: Also, pics would be helpful. Maybe someone has previously had what you have but won't recognise it until they see it.

And also, day-old chicks don't need to eat right now. Don't worry so much about that.

And also, good luck.

4. blasterssen

blasterssen In the Brooder

Nov 30, 2017
    WV
    It can take a day or two for them to gather some strength.

Few days ago I've had the same problem with some newly hatched chicks. Maybe the cardboard is too slippery for them. Not all the chicks are equal. Put some paper towels on the floor.

I also put in their water Bragg's apple cider vinegar... and from Sav-A-Chick brand: vitamins, probiotics and electrolytes (from Southern States). And as food I give them once a day finely minced boiled/scrambled eggs.

My chicks are in top shape now. I wish you good luck with yours! Post some pictures.

4.jpg

Edit: One of my chicks was only able to take 2 steps at a time and sometimes he walked backwards. It took 3 days for him to act normal.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    LittleCheepers likes this.
  5. From your own eggs?...

6. penny1960

penny1960 Going back to La La Land Premium Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    are they silkie chicks

7. KadeSilkies21

Jul 13, 2017
    Sorry for the late reply. 2 out of the 4 chicks sadly did not make it :( but I believe the one with its legs out has splayed leg. I have done some research and have made a sort of leg brace so he keeps his legs in. Is anyone familiar with this treatment? Even after doing the leg brace thing the poor chick still could not stand up and was left lying down with his legs joined. Any ideas. :fl

LittleCheepers and penny1960 like this.
  8. KadeSilkies21

Jul 13, 2017
    And also, are 2 day old chicks able to be housed with shavings as the bedding? Thanks for all your help everyone.

LittleCheepers and penny1960 like this.
  9. blasterssen

blasterssen In the Brooder

Nov 30, 2017
    WV
    I'm sorry to hear the bad news!

I've heard about the leg brace but I don't know much about it. I put pine shavings as bedding and for the first few days I will put paper towels on top of the shavings. It's better for their legs especially in your situation.

PS. And never use cedar shavings! Cedar can cause respiratory problems.

First day setup:
    1.jpg

And after three more days I've brought their mom to stay with them: (long story)
    4.jpg

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    LittleCheepers likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by