New Chicks- couple don't look so good. . .

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gardenak, Apr 27, 2009.

1. gardenak

gardenak Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Douglas, AK
    I put this in Raising Chicks but no one has answered it so thought I would try here.

I got my chicks this morning and set them up in the brooder. When I got home from work and checked on them, a couple don't look good. They jjust aly there with their eyes closed not eating or drinking. Is there anything I can give them or do for them?

2. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    Put some suger in there water, this should help them boost up a bit. what is the temp? how old r they?

3. gardenak

Apr 3, 2009
    Douglas, AK
    I don't have a thermometer, it's on my list for tomorrow. I hung the heat lamp on a chain above the box and watched them- they look pretty comfy- no trying to get a way and not balled up under the lamp.

They are 3 days I'm guessing.

4. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    sound like it could be just stress, put some suger in theer water. it should help boost ther energy, make sure they r drinking dunk there beeks in the water.

5. gardenak

Apr 3, 2009
    Douglas, AK
    I just did the beak dunk- we'll see if they spunk up a little. One of them is a faverolle and I only got the one, I don't want her to die.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by