New chicks, don't know breeds *updated pics later in the postings*

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by GardenGirl, Jun 12, 2008.

1. GardenGirl

GardenGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi all!

O.K. I added the pics. I hope it worked because it is my first time doing this. [​IMG]

Also, if you can tell the sex, we would appreciate it. Thanks!! [​IMG]

We just picked up 3 five week old chicks from a friend who hatched them for a class project and didn't want to keep them. She thinks they are all silkies, but from being on here and usually lurking, I have to think different. They are all standard sized.

#1 is black with a little ridged comb, black legs and 4 toes. No feathers on the legs.

[​IMG]

#2 is black and white, not barred kinda just swirled and splashed, pale yellow legs, 5 toes, and feathers starting to grow on the legs. Also a little comb that looks like a button on the head above the beak.

[​IMG]

#3 has the same comb as #2, same pale legs, 5 toes, but is basically brown with some white and black markings on the wings. I think there is also a feather or two on the legs.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  2. fowlafoot

fowlafoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    Midwest
    I don't know much about Silkies but I glanced in The Field Guide to Chickens and they should have 5 toes, slightly feathered legs , slate blue legs and a small almost circular comb. There are lots of Silkie fans on here so I am sure someone will have a better idea for you.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2008
  3. GardenGirl

Anyone wanna guess? [​IMG]

4. Mom2Cool

Mom2Cool Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    just a stab in the dark from looking at one of the hatchery sits, but could the one with black swirls be turning into this?

[​IMG]

Silver Laced Wyandotte

5. GardenGirl

It certainly does look like that and even has the personality traits of one as described on some of the sites, but it has 5 toes. Could it be a cross maybe?

6. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    #1 Looks like a Black Giant
    #2 looks like a Faverolle
    #3 not sure.

Could you post closer pics of body and head??

7. GardenGirl

Here are new pics of the little guys. I hope someone can tell me what they are and the sex. They are now 6 1/2 weeks old. Thanks!

[​IMG]

#2 (sorry one is sideways)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    The waddles are pretty red look like a bunch of Roos to me

9. GardenGirl

I was afraid I had roos. I kind of thought the black and white one was and I was a little suspect of the brown, but it is now smaller than the black and white and they seem to be the same breed. The feathers are also shorter. I was hoping the black one was a hen, we wanted another good layer and was hoping it was a black austrolorp (sp?). Can anyone figure out what these guys are? If they are all roos we will have to get rid of them. We have a little guy who would not take kindly to another roo around, let alone the possibility of 3.

10. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    Yep, looks like a nice bunch of silkie cross roos! Good luck with them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by