New chicks dying off.............

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Rogersfarm, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Rogersfarm

Rogersfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2010
    We have raised 32 Bantam assortments and 4 Sexlinks by hand very carefully giving them the utmost care and have not lost any of our birds except for the couple that flew into the dog pen.We purchased them from our local feed store at a day old and they are now roughly 25 weeks old .We have about 4 already laying and they seem fine.Our birds are free range and are in the same fencing as our pygmy/nigerian goats and 7 Guineas.We recently purchased 2 month old chicks 4 buffs and 6 Americanas from a lady that was selling them locally (she had a little chicken farm).I went to her house and she seemed clean and knew what she was talking about so I trusted her enough I bought these hens from her.We came home and quarantined them off for two weeks or so.While in the pen one of the Americanas died just suddenly.I came home and it was barely breathing and couldn't move.It died a few minutes later.I have since then just thought it was hot or had just got stressed from the move? All the others seem ok.So I came around and joined the new birds with the others they are about the same size because the others are bantams and the new ones are standard.Since then the new americanas are dying left and right .I find them barely moving and breathing just laying on their side and then they just slowly go.The buffs are perfect and my other birds are great. No sign of trouble with my other birds at all.I put some electrolytes in the water and keep cold water all the time but are they getting over heated?The lady I bought them from did not have them free range she had them in cages .I am trying to figure out what the problem is because I have lost all the americanas???????????

2. TinyBirds

TinyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    Texas
    I'm so sorry! That sounds so scary and awful. I don't know what could be wrong with them, but I hope someone else can help you out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by