New chicks eating straw............is that safe?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by donnaboydjones, Mar 18, 2012.

1. donnaboydjones

donnaboydjones Chillin' With My Peeps

I've got 20 new chicks and right now they are about 2 1/2 weeks old. They recently went out in the baby chick section of the coop and the ground is covered in straw and pine shavings. I've noticed that they will find a thin piece of straw or shaving, peeping loudly, running cause the herd wants what they have. Can they digest it without grit in their diet? [​IMG][​IMG]

2. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    Oh they are going to need some grit or sand.

3. Apyl

Apyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2012
    Necedah, Wi
    I would put a pan of sand in there. My chics are 3 weeks old and have had sand (I dont need to purchase grit since our yard is basically all sand so I use it) for about 2 weeks now. As far as I have heard when chicks eat anything other than their feed they need grit.

Also your chicks are cute, my DD wanted a turken but I just couldnt do it. There is something about seeing the neck that I just couldnt get past.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  4. donnaboydjones

Thank you..That's what I thought , but wanted to make sure. Seeing as I can't keep them from eating anything other then their food, cause lets face it, they are like toddlers putting everything in their mouths.=) Thank you for responding.

5. donnaboydjones

Thank you for responding. I will get them some grit. I haven't allowed them in the chicken yard, due to it being too cold and them being so little.
    I ended up getting 20 chicks and they are all two or three of the same breed; Americauna, turkin, speckled sussex, buckeye, maran, orpington, rhode island red and welsummer.I currently own Americana's, RIR and Russian Orloffs adults. I would have NEVER gotten a turken either, but the manager of our local farm store has them and he said they are the best chicken he's ever owned. Extremely docile, very broody and will lay on any eggs you put under them. I do worry about the others at some point pecking at their necks. Even as chicks , right now they are the most laid back.=)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by