New chicks. Floor or coop?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Puckaster, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Puckaster

Puckaster Chirping

Sep 13, 2018
    Isle of wight, England
    My hen and her new chicks don't like to go into the coop at night. The last 2 nights I have picked chicks and mum up from the floor of the run and had to put them into there coop, much to mum's annoyance, and a great deal of pecking. The coop has a gentle sloop to about 8 inch off the ground. They come down by themselves alright the next day. Am I best off making a rat proof sheltered sleeping area at ground level or shall I continue to put them to bed? I worry about them being exposed of the floor.

True Patriot likes this.
  2. ChickenGirl555

ChickenGirl555 Songster

Oct 22, 2017
    Wisconsin
    My Coop
    I'm not sure, and I want to have a broody raise some chicks in Spring and I'll have the same situation, so I'm going to see what others say...sorry this wasn't helpful.

3. True Patriot

True Patriot Sanity is subjective

May 20, 2018
    Liberty Co, Georgia
    My Coop
    An enclosed crate at ground level may work. How old are the chicks? Where does she take them when you put them in? If they're not old enough to roost she may need a nest to make her feel safer about the situation. Pics of the coop inside and out may help get more suggestions.

aart likes this.
  4. Puckaster

Puckaster Chirping

Sep 13, 2018
    Isle of wight, England
    True Patriot likes this.
  5. True Patriot

True Patriot Sanity is subjective

May 20, 2018
    Liberty Co, Georgia
    My Coop
    The coop appears to have little ventilation or daylight. It could be a factor in their hesitation to use it. Look into some way to let some more fresh air and light in.

Wyorp Rock, aart and Chickassan like this.
  6. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Keep putting them up. They will learn to Following Momma in a few more days.

True Patriot likes this.
  7. Chickassan

Chickassan Wattle Fondler

I agree, chickens don't like going into spots where they cannot see. If nothing else try putting a little light in there and take it out once mom and babies are safely inside. How is that coop ventilated btw, I don't see any vents or windows. The photos only show a few angles so are there some just not being shown? :)

True Patriot likes this.
  8. Puckaster

Puckaster Chirping

Sep 13, 2018
    Isle of wight, England
    Thanks for your replys. In the end I put an old small run/coop with ply on the bottom in there and roof and two sides for them to nest in. They are much happier in there on the floor and I lock it at night. One of the chicks has a broken toe which I've just noticed. I posted another thread to see what advise might be given in this regards.

Attached Files:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: