1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Chicks for a Broody Hen

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hobbyfarmrookie, Oct 22, 2009.

1. hobbyfarmrookie

hobbyfarmrookie Chillin' With My Peeps

I was trying to slowly relocate some young chicks (2 weeks) from my dining room to the coop. It's a long story but it got colder than expected about the time the chicks were delivered, and I do not have a garage. They are starting to fly to the top of the waterer which means in a few days they will be able to get out and be all over the house plus with 23 they are extremely long and the Mrs. is complaining they stink. I can not put a light on them in the coop because of the distance from the house.

I have a broody silkie, who after three days in the nest, I decided to give a couple of eggs just to see what she could do. Yesterday afternoon, I move two of the chicks to the coop, just to see if they would adapt without being in a transition cage. I like to let the chickens do a lot of natural chicken things and not necassarily try to be a parent raise them like they were my kids. I stayed with them about 30 minutes and all seemed well.

Before bed I went to check on them, my broody hen had one under her wing. THis morning I went again to check on them and the hen had left the eggs and was taking care of both chicks one under each wing. I do not know if this is a good way to break a broody hen, but it appears it did. The rest of the chicks will move there soon.

2. Freckle Face Farm

Freckle Face Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    Florida
    ohhh what a sweetie adopting the chicks!! [​IMG]

3. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Awww

4. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    Silkies are the best! I had 2 silkie hens and a silkie ROO adopt 12 chicks when they were about 3 week sold. It was seriously the sweetest thing ever!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by