1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

New Chicks for a Broody Hen

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hobbyfarmrookie, Oct 22, 2009.

1. I was trying to slowly relocate some young chicks (2 weeks) from my dining room to the coop. It's a long story but it got colder than expected about the time the chicks were delivered, and I do not have a garage. They are starting to fly to the top of the waterer which means in a few days they will be able to get out and be all over the house plus with 23 they are extremely long and the Mrs. is complaining they stink. I can not put a light on them in the coop because of the distance from the house.

I have a broody silkie, who after three days in the nest, I decided to give a couple of eggs just to see what she could do. Yesterday afternoon, I move two of the chicks to the coop, just to see if they would adapt without being in a transition cage. I like to let the chickens do a lot of natural chicken things and not necassarily try to be a parent raise them like they were my kids. I stayed with them about 30 minutes and all seemed well.

Before bed I went to check on them, my broody hen had one under her wing. THis morning I went again to check on them and the hen had left the eggs and was taking care of both chicks one under each wing. I do not know if this is a good way to break a broody hen, but it appears it did. The rest of the chicks will move there soon.

2. Freckle Face Farm

Freckle Face Farm Songster

Jan 1, 2009
    Florida
    ohhh what a sweetie adopting the chicks!! [​IMG]

3. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Awww

4. txchickie

txchickie Songster

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    Silkies are the best! I had 2 silkie hens and a silkie ROO adopt 12 chicks when they were about 3 week sold. It was seriously the sweetest thing ever!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by